Does SUM log(1+1/n)/n converge?

• Thread starter Treadstone 71
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the conversation discusses different tests and bounds for proving the convergence of \sum \frac{1}{n}\log(1+\frac{1}{n}). The first suggestion is to try comparing it to 1/n^2, but this does not work. Then, the possibility of using the Mercator series is mentioned, but it requires knowledge that has not been covered yet. The conversation then suggests using comparison and provides the Taylor's series for ex as a way to bound the term \log(1+\frac{1}{n}). Eventually, it is concluded that the term goes to zero and the \sum \frac{1}{n}\log(1+\frac{1}{n}) converges.
Treadstone 71
Prove that [tex]\sum \frac{1}{n}\log(1+\frac{1}{n})[/tex] converges.

I tried a batch of tests, but none works. Last time Raabe's test was give to me upside down. I wonder if any other tests are give to me wrongly as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried comparing it to 1/n^2?

I can't get it to work out

Post the details of your comparison...

What bounds do you know for log(1+x)?

It's unbounded.

I figured if [tex]\exp(\frac{1}{n}\log(1+\frac{1}{n}))=\exp(\frac{1}{n})+\exp(\frac{1}{n})/n \rightarrow 1[/tex] as [tex]n\rightarrow\infty[/tex], so at least the terms go to zero, although it's insufficient.

I could use the Mercator series, but we haven't seen it yet.

Last edited:
The first thing that was suggested was comparison- have you tried that?

The Taylor's series for ex is 1+ x + (1/2)x2+ ... so if x is positive, ex> 1+ x and x> log(1+ x) for all x. In particular, 1/n> log(1+ 1/n) for all n.

Treadstone 71 said:
It's unbounded.

It's bounded by a constant in the region you're concerned with. You are looking at log(1+x) where x=1/n, so 1<1+x<2.

A constant bound will not suffice here though, you need some indication of how fast this term is going to zero. Try the log(1+x)<x Halls mentioned, this was the one I was fishing for (one function can "bound" another).

I got it. Thanks for the help.

What is the formula for SUM log(1+1/n)/n?

The formula for SUM log(1+1/n)/n is the sum of the natural logarithms of (1+1/n) divided by n.

What does it mean for SUM log(1+1/n)/n to converge?

When SUM log(1+1/n)/n converges, it means that the sum of the terms in the series approaches a finite number as the number of terms increases.

How can I determine if SUM log(1+1/n)/n converges?

You can determine if SUM log(1+1/n)/n converges by using the ratio test or the comparison test. If the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms is less than 1, the series converges. If the series converges, the comparison test can be used to find the exact value it converges to.

What is the significance of SUM log(1+1/n)/n in mathematics?

SUM log(1+1/n)/n is a common series used in calculus and analysis. It is also known as the natural logarithmic series and has important applications in the study of limits and convergence.

Can SUM log(1+1/n)/n diverge?

Yes, SUM log(1+1/n)/n can diverge if the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms is greater than 1. In this case, the sum of the terms in the series will approach infinity as the number of terms increases.