Does the Amplitude of an Undamped Driven Oscillator Stay Constant Over Time?

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of an oscillating system when a driving force is introduced. The equations show that the amplitude of oscillation does not vary with time, which seems counterintuitive. However, it is explained that the amplitude gradually increases until it reaches a maximum value. The conversation also mentions the effect of damping on the system and how it stabilizes to a steady state with the frequency of the driving force. The concept of Q-factor is also brought up to explain the final energy level in the resonator.
adamjts
The equations I'm getting when I solve the differential equations seem to imply that the amplitude of oscillation does not vary in time.

For example, if I have

x'' + ω02x = cos(ωt)

If we suppose that ω≠ω0,

then the general solution should look something like:

x(t) = c1cos(ω0t) + c2sin(ω0t) + (1/(ω022))cos(ωt)

This is okay with me mostly. But then thinking about what happens when ω→ω0 AND ω≠ω0, then obviously the amplitude of the oscillator should be huge. However, It would seem that the amplitude does not depend on time. Which is to say, that the exact moment that we introduce this driving force, the amplitude of the oscillator instantaneously becomes enormous. Which is hard to believe, because I would expect the object to start deviating from its simple oscillations more slowly and grow in time.

I know that when ω=ω0 that there is a factor of t in the amplitude, but that is not the case here.

The only explanation that I can think of so far is that the superposition of the two sinusoids makes it seem like the initial amplitudes are small. So when the driving force is introduced, the waves align such that the oscillating body does not seem to have a huge amplitude. But over some time, the waves will align such that the body does have evidently huge oscillations. This would imply, though, that the oscillations would become small again. In other words, we would expect long beats. Is this correct?

Or, maybe after the driver begins, the motion converges onto that of the driven oscillation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
adamjts said:
If we suppose that ω≠ω0,
I'm in doubt of the terms. Do you mean that

• ω0 is the undamped frequency
  • ω is the damped frequency
If the system is undamped , ω = ω0. If you "drive" the system ( add/subtract energy ), the system is not undamped any longer.

And, yes, if you add energy to an undamped system, the accumulated energy will result in an enormous amplitude, and ω ≠ ω0.

adamjts said:
Which is to say, that the exact moment that we introduce this driving force, the amplitude of the oscillator instantaneously becomes enormous. Which is hard to believe, because I would expect the object to start deviating from its simple oscillations more slowly and grow in time.
The amplitude is not an instantaneous quantity. If the initial conditions are x=0 and v=0, then displacement increases gradually until it reaches a maximum value. That maximum value is the amplitude.
If you have damping, the oscillation stabilizes after a while to a steady state with the frequency of the driving force.
If there is no damping the transients (oscillations with natural frequency) should stay forever, theoretically.

adamjts said:
It would seem that the amplitude does not depend on time. Which is to say, that the exact moment that we introduce this driving force, the amplitude of the oscillator instantaneously becomes enormous.
No. If there is no damping and the exciting frequency is exactly the same as the natural frequency (it would have to be), the energy in the resonator will be growing at the rate of the Power of signal that's being supplied to it.
In a real situation, there will be finite damping and the final level achieved for the energy in the resonator will be related to the Q (Quality factor or 'sharpness' of the response of the resonator) of the circuit and, when this level is finally reached, the power lost in the damping will be the same as the power being supplied.

What is undamped driven oscillation?

Undamped driven oscillation is a type of oscillation where the amplitude remains constant over time. It is driven by an external force, such as a periodic force, and is not affected by any dissipative forces.

What is the difference between undamped driven oscillation and damped driven oscillation?

The main difference between undamped and damped driven oscillation is the presence of dissipative forces. In undamped oscillation, there are no dissipative forces, so the amplitude remains constant. In damped oscillation, dissipative forces cause the amplitude to decrease over time.

What factors affect the period of undamped driven oscillation?

The period of undamped driven oscillation is affected by the mass, spring constant, and amplitude of the oscillation. It can also be affected by the frequency of the external force driving the oscillation.

How does the amplitude of undamped driven oscillation change with frequency?

The amplitude of undamped driven oscillation is directly proportional to the frequency of the driving force. This means that as the frequency increases, the amplitude also increases.

What are some real-life examples of undamped driven oscillation?

Some examples of undamped driven oscillation include a pendulum swinging without any friction, a tuning fork vibrating at its natural frequency, and a child on a playground swing being pushed at regular intervals.