Does the Pivot Exert a Moment Reaction for Equilibrium?

In summary, the pivot exerts a vertical reaction equal to Cy = w0L / 2 and a horizontal reaction equal to Cx = 0. Whether it is in equilibrium depends on the type of pivot, with a pin support allowing for rotation but still requiring a balance in moments on each side. The beam in this case was found to be in equilibrium after calculations, challenging intuition as the critical condition was met. This is due to the fact that a longer arm requires less force to produce the same moment, while a shorter arm requires more.
eurekameh
f04rv6.png

I know that the pivot exerts a vertical reaction equal to Cy = w0L / 2 and a horizontal reaction equal to Cx = 0. Does the pivot also exert a moment reaction? My intuition says that it doesn't and that it's actually not in equilibrium because it will rotate about the pivot, but the question is asking for a check of a state of equilibrium. Anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Whether it is in equilibrium depends on the type of pivot. If it's a pin support, then there is no bending moment in the pivot but the beam could still be in equilibrium if the moment of the resultant force acting on the left side = moment of the resultant force acting on the right.

If it's a fixed support then there is a moment and the beam would always be in equilibirum (nonuniform distribution of moments on the beam will be equilibrated by the moment in the pivot). But then the answer is always yes, so probably that is not the case.

I think here you have a pin support, so the rotation is allowed, but check the moments on each side to see if it will be stable anyway :)

Equilibrium worked out after all the math. I have to say that this challenged my intuition because I would think that the beam would start rotating counter-clockwise due to the load on the right of the pivot being larger than the load on the left of the pivot.

Yeah, it's not quite intuitive. Here happens to be the critical condition, any more or less load on either side would rotate it. Remember that less force is required on a longer arm and more on the shorter, to produce the same moment :)

I can confirm that the pivot exerts a moment reaction in addition to the vertical and horizontal reactions. This is because the pivot acts as a point of rotation, and any force applied at this point will create a moment, or rotational force. In order for the pivot to be in a state of equilibrium, the sum of all forces and moments acting on it must be equal to zero. Therefore, the moment reaction from the pivot must also be taken into account in order to accurately assess the state of equilibrium.

Related to Does the Pivot Exert a Moment Reaction for Equilibrium?

1. What is a pivot force reaction?

A pivot force reaction is a force that is generated in response to an applied force at a pivot point. This reaction force is necessary to maintain equilibrium and prevent the object from rotating or tipping over.

2. How is the magnitude of a pivot force reaction determined?

The magnitude of a pivot force reaction is determined by the distance from the pivot point to the applied force and the magnitude of the applied force. This can be calculated using the principle of moments.

3. What factors can affect the pivot force reaction?

The factors that can affect the pivot force reaction include the distance from the pivot point to the applied force, the magnitude of the applied force, the weight and distribution of the object, and any external forces acting on the object.

4. How does the direction of the pivot force reaction relate to the applied force?

The direction of the pivot force reaction is always opposite to the direction of the applied force. This is because the pivot force reaction is necessary to counteract and balance out the applied force in order to maintain equilibrium.

5. Can pivot force reactions be applied to non-rigid objects?

Yes, pivot force reactions can also be applied to non-rigid objects, such as a rope or cable. In this case, the pivot force reaction is exerted by the tension in the rope or cable, which acts as a pivot point for the object.