1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the series converge?

1. Nov 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find all x for which [tex]\sum[/tex] from k=1 to infinity (x^k - x^(k-1))(x^k+x^(k-1)) converges.

2. Relevant equations
    I think the geometric series formula is relevant: [tex]\sum[/tex] k=N to infinity of x^k = 1/(1-x) for all |x|<1.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I simplified the expression to x^2k - x^(2k-2). I can show that the first term converges (I think ... because it is the product of two convergent sequences?), and I understand logically why the second term converges, but not sure how to show rigorously. I also think that the series converges for all |x|<1, but again not sure how to construct the proof.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: Factor x(k-1) out.

4. Nov 16, 2009 #3
    But then x^2 is one of the factors, and x^2 does not converge (?).

5. Nov 16, 2009 #4
    You are summing over k, not over x.

Hint number 2: your guess for the values of x where the series converges is almost right, but not quite.

6. Nov 16, 2009 #5
    Ah, I see, thank you. In this case, unlike the "regular" geometric series case, x can be less than one OR one (i.e., |x|<=1), because if x is one, x^2k and x^(2k-1) are both one ... so the series converges to zero. Correct?

7. Nov 16, 2009 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it converges at x = 1. But if you follow my hint and factor out x(k-1) in your original expression, there won't be any k left in the summand. What does that tell you?

8. Nov 16, 2009 #7
    OK, I think I understand: the expression factors to x^(k-1)*[x^(k-1)-x^(k-1)] = 0?

9. Nov 16, 2009 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the summation you started with

[tex]\frac {x^k - x^{k-1}}{x^k+x^{k-1}}[/tex]

It's a fraction now, and it will be a fraction after you factor x(k-1) out and simplify it. Do that and simplify it. What do you get?

10. Nov 16, 2009 #9
    There is no fraction in the original summation.

11. Nov 16, 2009 #10

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Woops! Sorry, I misread the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook