Does the series converge for all values of x?

• Thread starter applegatecz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary: I thought you were trying to find all x for which the sum x^k-x^(k-1) converges. That's not what the problem is asking for.
applegatecz

Homework Statement

Find all x for which [tex]\sum[/tex] from k=1 to infinity (x^k - x^(k-1))(x^k+x^(k-1)) converges.

Homework Equations

I think the geometric series formula is relevant: [tex]\sum[/tex] k=N to infinity of x^k = 1/(1-x) for all |x|<1.

The Attempt at a Solution

I simplified the expression to x^2k - x^(2k-2). I can show that the first term converges (I think ... because it is the product of two convergent sequences?), and I understand logically why the second term converges, but not sure how to show rigorously. I also think that the series converges for all |x|<1, but again not sure how to construct the proof.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Factor x(k-1) out.

But then x^2 is one of the factors, and x^2 does not converge (?).

You are summing over k, not over x.

Hint number 2: your guess for the values of x where the series converges is almost right, but not quite.

Ah, I see, thank you. In this case, unlike the "regular" geometric series case, x can be less than one OR one (i.e., |x|<=1), because if x is one, x^2k and x^(2k-1) are both one ... so the series converges to zero. Correct?

applegatecz said:
Ah, I see, thank you. In this case, unlike the "regular" geometric series case, x can be less than one OR one (i.e., |x|<=1), because if x is one, x^2k and x^(2k-1) are both one ... so the series converges to zero. Correct?

Yes, it converges at x = 1. But if you follow my hint and factor out x(k-1) in your original expression, there won't be any k left in the summand. What does that tell you?

OK, I think I understand: the expression factors to x^(k-1)*[x^(k-1)-x^(k-1)] = 0?

In the summation you started with

[tex]\frac {x^k - x^{k-1}}{x^k+x^{k-1}}[/tex]

It's a fraction now, and it will be a fraction after you factor x(k-1) out and simplify it. Do that and simplify it. What do you get?

There is no fraction in the original summation.

applegatecz said:
There is no fraction in the original summation.

Woops! Sorry, I misread the problem.

1. What does it mean for a series to converge?

A series is said to converge if the sequence of partial sums approaches a finite limit as the number of terms in the series goes to infinity. In other words, as more terms are added to the series, the overall value of the series becomes increasingly closer to a specific number.

2. How can I determine if a series converges or not?

There are several methods for determining the convergence of a series, including the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the series and comparing them to other known series with known convergence properties.

3. Can a series converge to more than one limit?

No, a series can only converge to one limit. If a series has more than one limit, then it is considered to be divergent.

4. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence occurs when a series converges regardless of the order in which the terms are added. On the other hand, conditional convergence occurs when the series only converges if the terms are added in a specific order.

5. What are some real-life applications of convergent series?

Convergent series have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, convergent series are used to model continuous phenomena such as sound waves and electric fields. In economics, they are used to analyze the behavior of financial markets and make predictions about future trends.