Does Thinking Burn as Many Calories as Physical Activity?

• Thread starter Topher925
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thinking
In summary, thinking can lead to an increased hunger but there is no evidence that it requires more calories to run the brain.
Topher925
I've found on days where I do a lot of thinking I get really hungry rather often throughout the day like if I've been working out or something. This seems to make sense since the brain is like a supercomputer it must take a lot of energy to power it, but how much? The amount of calories required to operate a brain at "wide open throttle" for 1 hour can't be as much required operate a body that is sprinting/running for 1 hour can it?

Physics news on Phys.org
The brain burns roughly 500 kilo-calories a day. Studies haven't found any strong correlation between actively thinking and it burning more.

I think that when you are worried about things and such then your body begins a lot of other processes readying itself for things which should burn a lot or it might be trying to stock up on reserves to brace for the coming danger thus making you hungry.

Although I can't say that studying or reading makes me more hungry, I find it's easier to lose track of how much I've been eating. I'll be so focused on what I'm doing that I won't notice how long I've been methodically putting away chip after chip. Chips and salsa, hot salsa, together make one of my favorite snack combinations.

Are you talking about actual hunger pains? Does it happen every time? Could it be a routine you've built?

Well, there's also the correlation that thinking, particularly in high-stakes situations (e.g. studying for a test), may be a stressor, whereas eating may counteract this by releasing endorphins. See emotional eating.

Not sure but when I began reading again(+school work) more often during my free time I noticed I gained a lot of weight... In high school this wasn't a problem and it was easier to maintain a lower bodyweight.

Zubin said:
Not sure but when I began reading again(+school work) more often during my free time I noticed I gained a lot of weight... In high school this wasn't a problem and it was easier to maintain a lower bodyweight.

Well, everyone had an easier time maintaining a lower body weight in high school. There's a lot of growing and energy burning associated with adolescence. As we get older, it does get harder to maintain a lower weight. But, of course spending more of your free time reading means you're spending more of your free time sedentary (unless you've switched from something like knitting to reading), so that will contribute to weight gain.

Thinking more has nothing to do with an increased need for calories. But, when you're just sitting rather than being active, you have more time to think about being hungry, as well as more access to food than if you were out somewhere doing more active things.

If there is no significant increase in burning calories when it comes to thinking then it must just be psychological. I figure it may also have something to do with stress as well. Next week I'll finally be able to get back on my exercise routine again after a 3 month hiatus.

Related to Does Thinking Burn as Many Calories as Physical Activity?

1. How does thinking more lead to eating more?

Thinking more can lead to eating more in several ways. First, when we are deeply engaged in thought or problem-solving, our brains require more energy, which can trigger hunger signals. Additionally, when we are stressed or overwhelmed, we may turn to food as a source of comfort or distraction. Finally, thinking about food or seeing images of food can also stimulate our appetite and lead to increased eating.

2. Is there a link between stress and increased eating?

Yes, there is a well-established link between stress and increased eating. When we are stressed, our bodies release the hormone cortisol, which can increase our appetite and cravings for high-fat and high-sugar foods. Additionally, stress can also lead to emotional eating, where we use food as a coping mechanism to deal with negative emotions.

3. Can thinking about food make us eat more?

Yes, thinking about food can make us eat more. Our thoughts and mental images can stimulate our appetite and trigger cravings. This is why advertisements and pictures of food can be so effective in promoting food consumption. Additionally, constantly thinking about food or planning our next meal can also increase our anticipation and desire for food, leading to overeating.

4. How does multitasking affect our eating habits?

Multitasking can have a negative impact on our eating habits. When we are focused on multiple tasks at once, we may not pay attention to our food or how much we are eating. This can lead to mindless eating and overconsumption. Additionally, multitasking can also increase our stress levels, which, as mentioned earlier, can lead to increased eating.

5. Can we train ourselves to think less and eat less?

Yes, we can train ourselves to think less and eat less. Mindful eating practices, such as paying attention to our food and eating slowly, can help us become more aware of our hunger and satiety cues. This can prevent us from overeating due to stress or mindless eating. Additionally, practicing stress-management techniques, such as deep breathing or meditation, can also help reduce our stress levels and decrease our likelihood of turning to food for comfort or distraction.