Does this series converge or diverge?

• Thread starter lillybeans
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary: Since the coefficient of 4n*(a) is always either 0 or a positive number, it is oscillating between 0 and 8/3.
lillybeans

Homework Statement

118lt9g.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I really couldn't figure this one out. It's definitely not telescoping series because I don't see repeating terms that cancel. I would try to compare it to a geometric series. so what I did was factoring out a 4^n:

4^n(2+sinn-(1/2+sinn))

replacing (2+sinn-(1/2+sinn)) with "a"

Then I noticed the bounds 1<2+sinn<3

so the whole thing inside the bracket is oscillating between 0<a<8/3

So i concluded that the series is divergent? (highly unsure) because the coefficient that 4^n multiplies by (by coefficient I mean "a") is always either 0 or a positive number. So when it is 0, there will be no effect. When it is a positive number, the sums will add up, and the series will eventually go to infinity.. Eh.. is that.. a valid line of reasoning?

Thanks in advance,

Lilly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since 4n→∞ as n→∞, the (2+sin n) - 1/(2+sin n) part had at least better go to 0. Can you show whether the limit of that part is 0 as n→∞?

Bohrok said:
Since 4n→∞ as n→∞, the (2+sin n) - 1/(2+sin n) part had at least better go to 0. Can you show whether the limit of that part is 0 as n→∞?

I am quite sure the limit of the bracket part doesn't go to zero because sin(n) is always oscillating.

But is it supposed to?

Last edited:
L'Hopital's rule doesn't apply since we don't have either of the indeterminate forms 0/0 or ∞/∞ (usually we can't use it when we have trig functions in the fraction like that), so we'll have to try something else.

2+sin n is definitely oscillating, but we can't really assume either way that the -1/(2+sin n) would make it tend to 0 or oscillate still.
Still, if you look at a graph, it looks just like a sine or cosine graph that's been translated and stretched, but I have no idea how you could write it as just one trig function...

You can show that the derivative of (2+sin x) - 1/(2+sin x) oscillates, so (2+sin n) - 1/(2+sin n) doesn't tend to 0, and so the series diverges.

Bohrok said:
You can show that the derivative of (2+sin x) - 1/(2+sin x) oscillates, so (2+sin n) - 1/(2+sin n) doesn't tend to 0, and so the series diverges.

Got it, thank you very much

The derivative of a function does not have to go to zero for the function itself to go to zero

Also, It's not enough to show that the continuous version of the function oscillates. For example [itex] \lim_{x\to \infty} cos(2 \pi x)[/itex] does not exist, but [itex] \lim _{n \to \infty} cos(2\pi n) = 1[/itex].

The argument to show that 2+sin(n)-1/(2+sin(n)) does not go to zero is only slightly non-trivial. Suppose that this is close to zero. Then 2+sin(n) is approximately 1/(2+sin(n)) so it must be that 2+sin(n) is approximately 1 and sin(n) is approximately -1. Hence it must be that n is very close to 3pi/2+2kpi for some k. Based on this prove that 2+sin(n+1)-1/(2+sin(n+1)) cannot be close to zero

Bohrok said:

Office_Shredder said:
The derivative of a function does not have to go to zero for the function itself to go to zero

Also, It's not enough to show that the continuous version of the function oscillates. For example [itex] \lim_{x\to \infty} cos(2 \pi x)[/itex] does not exist, but [itex] \lim _{n \to \infty} cos(2\pi n) = 1[/itex].

The argument to show that 2+sin(n)-1/(2+sin(n)) does not go to zero is only slightly non-trivial. Suppose that this is close to zero. Then 2+sin(n) is approximately 1/(2+sin(n)) so it must be that 2+sin(n) is approximately 1 and sin(n) is approximately -1. Hence it must be that n is very close to 3pi/2+2kpi for some k. Based on this prove that 2+sin(n+1)-1/(2+sin(n+1)) cannot be close to zero

I see. Thanks for the reply.

One additional question: Can you solve this question by using any of the following techniques? These are the techniques we learned in class, so it is most probable that our professor wants to test us on one of them, but it could be an anomaly.

- Comparison with geometric
- Comparison with p-series
- Ratio test
- Root test
- Divergence test
- Alternating series
- Limit comparison

O_S, I see that we can't just assume as you showed with that example.
The derivative in this case turned out to be (1+1/(sinx+2)2)cosx. The part in front is bounded above by 2 and bounded below by 10/9, so what else could be done to show that this doesn't settle on any number?

1. What is the definition of convergence and divergence in a series?

The definition of convergence in a series is when the terms of the series approach a finite limit as the number of terms increases. Divergence, on the other hand, is when the terms of the series do not approach a finite limit and the series does not have a sum.

2. How do you determine if a series converges or diverges?

To determine if a series converges or diverges, you can use various tests such as the ratio test, root test, integral test, or comparison test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the series to determine if they approach a finite limit or not.

3. What is the significance of a series converging or diverging?

The convergence or divergence of a series is important because it tells us whether or not the series has a sum. If a series converges, it means that the sum of all the terms in the series is a finite number. If a series diverges, it means that the sum of all the terms in the series is infinite or does not exist.

4. What happens if a series diverges?

If a series diverges, it means that the sum of all the terms in the series is infinite or does not exist. This can happen if the terms in the series do not approach a finite limit or if they alternate between positive and negative values without approaching a specific value. In this case, the series does not have a sum and is considered to be divergent.

5. Can a series converge and diverge at the same time?

No, a series cannot converge and diverge at the same time. A series can either have a finite sum and be convergent, or not have a finite sum and be divergent. It is not possible for a series to have both properties simultaneously.