1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does this (textbook) circuit diagram contain a mistake?

1. Feb 26, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This circuit solves some differential equation, the question is asking for the equation based on the circuit diagram

b1npQSK.png

imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/b1npQSK.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I refer to the input terminal for -f(t)...the signal from it doesn't seem to pass through any resistor on its way into the inverting summer, so I've no way (I think) of finding how the signal from -f(t) is scaled in the summer.

Is this a mistake on the diagram? If not, what am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2016 #2
    Could be a current input rather than a voltage input... or a mistake.

4. Feb 26, 2016 #3

LvW

Yes - I am sure, it is a mistake. The right most amplifier must add up three signals (voltages) - and for this purpose another series resistor is necessary.

5. Feb 26, 2016 #4
    Where does the problem statement say that? Did you leave something out?

6. Feb 27, 2016 #5

LvW

It is the purpose of the circuit to "solve differential equations".
    Hence, it needs an input. Such an input (time domain) is shown as "-f(t) directly at the inv. terminal of an opamp, which - at the same time - receives the sum of two other voltages. However, this addition works only if f(t) also is connected through another resistor (remember the virtual ground principle).
    Thus, without such a resistor the whole circuit makes no sense.

7. Feb 27, 2016 #6
  8. Feb 28, 2016 #7

LvW

A "current input" is nothing else than a voltage input with a corresponding large source resistance (see my answer).
    On the other hand - do you really assume that such a circuit (analog computer circuitry for solving differential equations) is intended to work with current in and voltage out? This would make no sense at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted