1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doing a theoretical physics degree from home UK only please

1. Nov 17, 2011 #1
    Is there any point in doing a theoretical/astrophysics degree from home, even if you are able to achieve exceptionally good grades, what about people who are agoraphobic and can't get to a uni?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2011 #2

eri

What do you plan on doing with the degree? No matter how good your grades are, employers aren't going to hire someone who's not going to show up.

4. Nov 17, 2011 #3
    i know what your saying at the moment it is doing the degree itself obviously and i would like to go down the phd route and do research. I'm not actually agoraphobic but i was wondering what happens to those who are if they just deal with not having an education. I have an ill family member who i look after all the time so can't leave the house for the next few years for hours at a time. But in 2 years when my brother has finished his degree he will be taking over in the care.

5. Nov 17, 2011 #4
    Have you looked into the Open University? They are probably your best bet, and they will go out of their way to provide help for people in special circumstances.

6. Nov 17, 2011 #5
    Thank you! yes i have just worried it will be seen as a 'lesser' degree if you understand what i mean?

But the OU have been more than helpful and do have an astrophysics degree

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook