Doing Differential Equations For a Living

In summary, the speaker is a pure math major who plans to pursue a PhD in an area of pure mathematics. They are aware that obtaining a permanent job in academia may be difficult and are considering alternative options, such as working for a company solving differential and integral equations. The possibility of finding a job solely focused on math in industry may be higher if the individual has experience with numerical methods and programming languages.
Poopsilon
So basically I am a pure math major intending on going to graduate school to get a phd in some area of pure mathematics (possibly something like algebra or functional analysis), and I want to be well prepared for the more than likely outcome that I won't be able to obtain a permanent job in academia.

So I'm curious if I can simply learn a lot about differential equations and techniques in applied analysis on the side and basically be paid by some company just to sit around all day solving differential and integral equations for them, do these types of jobs exist? or will there always be other large components of the job not directly related to doing the math? And by this I don't mean interpersonal relations and teamwork, which I'm fine with, but more like extensive programming and modeling or like having to learn a lot about the field from whence these differential and integral equations arise.

Likes H Kannan
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it depends on what it means by "solving" differential equations. I assume you are aware that very few DEs that are important in the real world can be solved analytically (and then usually for some trivial geometry). So if this is what you mean by solving then no, I doubt it.
However, if you are good at solving PDEs using FEM etc then you might have a better chance, you will still be expected to know how to do some modelling but this is perhaps your best chance at being able to work on "only" math in industry.
Also, there are of course careers in finance etc, but just about all of them will require you how to solve things numerically.
Hence, my advice would be that you learn as much as you can about numerical methods and learn a couple of programming languages.

Likes H Kannan

1. What exactly does a differential equations scientist do?

A differential equations scientist is a specialized type of mathematician who studies the relationships between variables in a system through differential equations. These equations model how the variables change over time and are used to solve real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What kind of education is required to become a differential equations scientist?

To become a differential equations scientist, one typically needs to have a strong background in mathematics, including advanced calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Most scientists also have a graduate degree in a related field such as applied mathematics or engineering.

3. What industries or fields do differential equations scientists work in?

Differential equations scientists can work in a variety of industries and fields, including physics, engineering, economics, biology, and finance. They may also work in research and development for companies or government agencies.

4. What skills are important for a successful career in differential equations?

In addition to a strong mathematical background, successful differential equations scientists should have strong analytical and problem-solving skills. They should also have good computer programming skills and be able to use specialized software for modeling and solving equations.

5. What are some potential career paths for a differential equations scientist?

A differential equations scientist can have a variety of career options, including working in research and development, teaching at the university level, or working in industries such as aerospace, energy, or finance. Some may also choose to pursue a career in data science or machine learning.