Doing MechE, but not mechanically inclined

In summary: Lots of engineers do more theoretical work, they tend to be those doing computational modeling and simulations; which on the MechE side tend to be those doing Finite Element Analysis and Fluid Dynamics and the other topics you mentioned prior.Control systems, Electronics. Theory...Sounds like maybe Electrical might be a better fit??Electrical might be a better fit for you if you want to do more theoretical work.
ramzerimar
I'm at my second year of mechanical engineering, and I do like all the theoretical stuff I'm learning (calculus, linear algebra, physics). But the problem is: when it comes down to actually build something, I find much more interesting to assemble and solder circuits than building something really mechanical(electronics is a hobby of mine). I'm not much mechanically inclined, besides loving various aspects of mechanical engineering: thermo, fluids, aerodynamics.
Also, I enjoy learning about control systems. I find their mathematical nature very interesting, and I'm taking some online courses on this subject.
Which fields of mechanical engineering do you think would suit me?

Physics news on Phys.org
ramzerimar said:
...besides loving various aspects of mechanical engineering: thermo, fluids, aerodynamics.
Also, I enjoy learning about control systems.

Haven't you pretty much identified the fields of mechanical engineering that would suit you?

Likes CalcNerd
DrSteve said:
Haven't you pretty much identified the fields of mechanical engineering that would suit you?
Yeah, those are the classes I like, but it's very theoretical classroom stuff. I don't know if this will still apply when I start working at some company, when I will have to do more handwork.

ramzerimar said:
Yeah, those are the classes I like, but it's very theoretical classroom stuff. I don't know if this will still apply when I start working at some company, when I will have to do more handwork.

Lots of engineers do more theoretical work, they tend to be those doing computational modeling and simulations; which on the MechE side tend to be those doing Finite Element Analysis and Fluid Dynamics and the other topics you mentioned prior.

Control systems, Electronics. Theory...
Sounds like maybe Electrical might be a better fit??

cpscdave said:
Control systems, Electronics. Theory...
Sounds like maybe Electrical might be a better fit??
I've put a lot of thought into it, but I'm not sure. I intended to get my bachelor's in MechE and after that pursue a Master's in controls. I'm aware that one of the best engineering schools of my country offers a master program in aeronautical engineering with concentrations in aerospace systems and mechatronics. I think it would be a great way to study all my fields of interest.

Your vision of mechanical engineering is rooted in the mid-20th century. Few engineers are fortunate enough to be able to do hands-on work these days. If you chose aerospace you will not be one of them.

Likes ramzerimar
DrSteve said:
Your vision of mechanical engineering is rooted in the mid-20th century. Few engineers are fortunate enough to be able to do hands-on work these days. If you chose aerospace you will not be one of them.
Ok, I got it. To be honest, I may be more comfortable doing analysis and running simulations. By what I've studied so far, systems and control looks like a very mathematical field (Fourier and Laplace transforms, transfer functions...), and that's why I find it interesting and more appropriate for me. That's why I'm interested in fluids, also, and aerodynamics. So I think aerospace is a interesting path, where all this is applied.

IF you want to do some self learning on Control Systems (I'm not sure how much is covered in Mech Eng. I don't think any was at my school)
Check out https://www.youtube.com/user/ControlLectures Our prof for Control Systems was useless beyond belief. I learned the entire course from that Youtube channel :)

(Fun fact: On our midterm the prof, not having checked his random question before hand, asked us to factorise a 27th order polynomial, and then was pissed when we couldn't do it and asked him to show us how.)

cpscdave said:
IF you want to do some self learning on Control Systems (I'm not sure how much is covered in Mech Eng. I don't think any was at my school)
Check out https://www.youtube.com/user/ControlLectures Our prof for Control Systems was useless beyond belief. I learned the entire course from that Youtube channel :)

(Fun fact: On our midterm the prof, not having checked his random question before hand, asked us to factorise a 27th order polynomial, and then was pissed when we couldn't do it and asked him to show us how.)

Thank you. I will certainly take a look on that channel. In my school, Control Systems is not mandatory for Mech Eng. There used to be a elective in controls in our departament, but not anymore. I tought about taking some electives on controls at the EE department, but I couldn't handle the amount of prerequisites. I will try learning it by myself, so I have some background if I pursue a Master's on this subject in the future.

I wouldn't have called myself mechanically inclined. I've developed those skills (among others) as a necessity for designing and building research-related apparatus, but I was never one of those guys who got into mechanical engineering because of my love of tinkering on my car or anything like that. I never found myself to be disadvantaged due to a lack of tinkering interest or experience.

Likes ramzerimar

1. What is MechE and what does it involve?

MechE, or Mechanical Engineering, is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, construction, and operation of mechanical systems. It involves the application of principles from physics, mathematics, and materials science to create devices and machinery that serve a variety of purposes.

2. Can I pursue a career in MechE if I am not mechanically inclined?

Yes, you can still pursue a career in MechE even if you are not naturally mechanically inclined. While having an interest in mechanics can be helpful, it is not a requirement. A strong background in math and physics, along with a willingness to learn and problem-solve, are the most important qualities for a successful MechE.

3. What skills are necessary to excel in MechE?

Some of the key skills for success in MechE include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, creativity, attention to detail, and good communication skills. Additionally, having a strong foundation in math, physics, and materials science is essential.

4. Are there any resources available for someone who is not mechanically inclined but interested in MechE?

Yes, there are many resources available for those interested in MechE but not naturally inclined towards mechanics. These can include online tutorials, workshops, and introductory courses that can help you develop the necessary skills and knowledge. Additionally, seeking out mentors or joining a study group can also be beneficial.

5. Are there any specific industries or fields that MechE is best suited for?

MechE can be applied to a wide range of industries and fields, including automotive, aerospace, energy, manufacturing, robotics, and more. The skills and knowledge gained from studying MechE are highly transferable, allowing for a diverse range of career opportunities.