Find Dom(f) and Range(f) of g(x)=(In(x-5)/In(x-5))+sqrt(10-x)

• Thread starter philippe311
  • Start date
In summary, the domain of the function f(x) = ln(x-5)/ln(x-5) + sqrt(10-x) is (5,10] and the range is (1,1+sqrt(5))U(1+sqrt(5),infinity). However, the domain may be restricted further depending on the restrictions of the natural logarithm function. The function 1+sqrt(10-x) is also decreasing, so the range of f may be affected by the restricted domain as well.
philippe311

Homework Statement

g(x)=(In(x-5)/In(x-5))+sqrt(10-x). Find Dom(f) and Range(f).
and sqrt(10-x) is decreasing.

The Attempt at a Solution

x-5=0
x=5.
10-x>=0
10>=x.
so The dom(f), I think, is (-infinity,5)U(5,10].
now the range, the equation should look like this after cancelling.
1+sqrt(10-x).
Is it right that I just plug in x values like:10,5,...
and I tried to plug in some and I got this
(1,1+sqrt(5))U(1+sqrt(5),infinity).
Is that right? Or am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
philippe311 said:

Homework Statement

g(x)=(In(x-5)/In(x-5))+sqrt(10-x). Find Dom(f) and Range(f).
and sqrt(10-x) is decreasing.

The Attempt at a Solution

x-5=0
x=5.
10-x>=0
10>=x.
so The dom(f), I think, is (-infinity,5)U(5,10].
now the range, the equation should look like this after cancelling.
1+sqrt(10-x).
Is it right that I just plug in x values like:10,5,...
and I tried to plug in some and I got this
(1,1+sqrt(5))U(1+sqrt(5),infinity).
Is that right? Or am I missing something?

First off, there is no In function, just as there is no Iog function. The names of these function are ln and log, respectively, for the natural logarithm and common logarithm functions.

Your domain is not correct. For ln(x - 5) to be defined, x > 5, which you have. For the square root, x <= 10, which is what you have. For ln(x-5)/ln(x - 5) to be defined, however, you can't divide by zero. What value of x makes ln(x - 5) = 0?

As already mentioned in your problem, sqrt(10 - x) is decreasing, so 1 + sqrt(10 - x) will be decreasing as well. The restricted domain will affect the graph of 1 + sqrt(10 - x), so will affect the range of your function f.

Thanks for explaining.

1. What is the domain of g(x)?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values for the function. In this case, the function g(x) is defined for all values of x, except for x = 5 and x = 10. This is because the natural logarithm function is not defined for x = 0 and the square root function is not defined for x > 10. Therefore, the domain of g(x) is (-∞, 5) ∪ (5, 10).

2. What is the range of g(x)?

The range of a function is the set of all possible output values for the function. For g(x), the range is all real numbers greater than or equal to 0, since the natural logarithm function and the square root function can only output positive values. Additionally, the range does not include 0 because the function is undefined at x = 5. Therefore, the range of g(x) is [0, ∞).

3. How do you find the domain and range of g(x)?

To find the domain and range of g(x), you first need to identify any restrictions on the input values that would make the function undefined. In this case, the restrictions are x = 5 and x = 10. Then, for the domain, you need to write the interval notation for all possible input values, and for the range, you need to write the interval notation for all possible output values.

4. Can you simplify the function g(x)?

Yes, the function g(x) can be simplified to g(x) = 1 + √(10-x). This can be done by combining the two natural logarithm terms and simplifying the expression.

5. How can I graph g(x)?

To graph g(x), you can plot points by choosing different values for x and calculating the corresponding values of g(x). Since the function is undefined at x = 5, you will have a hole in the graph at that point. Additionally, since the function is undefined for x > 10, the graph will approach the y-axis but never touch it. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph g(x) and see the shape of the curve.