Domain and codomain for y =[tex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex]

• Thread starter foxtrot_echo_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Domain
In summary, the conversation discusses the mapping f: X\rightarrowY where f(x)=y=\sqrt{1-x^2}. It is mentioned that the co-domain Y can be defined as either \mathbb{R} or [0,1], depending on whether the mapping is onto or not. There is a question about whether the domain X can be \mathbb{R} or if it must be restricted to [-1,1] or its subsets. The question also brings up the confusion about why the graph of y = \sqrt{1-x^2} is shown over the entire real line instead of just the line segment from [-1,1]. The questioner is wondering if it is possible for a domain to
foxtrot_echo_
Consider the mapping f: X[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]Y where f(x)=y=[tex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex]

consider the co-domain Y , we can define the mapping over [-1,1] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\mathbb R[/tex] , ( in this case the mapping won't be onto)
and in case we define the mapping over [-1,1] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] [0,1] (in this case mapping is onto)

(is my understanding till this point right?)

and my question is
does it make any sense to say that the domain X is the set [tex]\mathbb R[/tex] or can the mapping only be defined such that X is the set [-1,1] (or its subsets) ?
(note I am not considering case of complex numbers)

and another minor quibble :- when we plot y = [tex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex] , why do we show the domain X over entire real line shouldn't we only show the line segment from [-1,1] (if it doesn't make any sense to say X is entire [tex]\mathbb R[/tex]) ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
basically , my confusion is this :-
in functions which are not 'onto' , we are not pairing all the elements of the co-domain with elements of domain.

but does the opposite make sense , i.e can we speak of a domain where some elements are not paired with elements of co-domain?

Sorry if question is very basic,please bear with me over this.

What is the domain of y =[tex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex]?

The domain of y =[tex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex] is all real numbers between -1 and 1, inclusive. This is because the square root function is only defined for non-negative numbers, and 1-x^2 must be greater than or equal to 0.

What is the codomain of y =[tex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex]?

The codomain of y =[tex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex] is also all real numbers between -1 and 1, inclusive. This is because the output of the square root function is always a non-negative number, and 1-x^2 can never be greater than 1.

Are there any excluded values for the input x?

Yes, x cannot equal 1 or -1, as this would result in the square root of 0, which is undefined.

What is the range of y =[tex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex]?

The range of y =[tex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex] is all non-negative real numbers between 0 and 1, inclusive. This is because the output of the square root function is always a non-negative number, and 1-x^2 can never be greater than 1.

Can the value of y ever be negative?

No, the value of y can never be negative because the square root function always returns a non-negative number. The lowest possible value for y is 0 when x is equal to 1 or -1.