1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Domain and range help

1. Aug 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose f is a function with domain [-2,10] and range [5,10]. Find the domain and range of the following functions.
    (a) f(2x+4)

(b) 2f(x)+4

3. The attempt at a solution

Would I just substitute the in the domain and range values to find the answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't ask. Do it: that counts as an attempt at solution. Ask when stuck...
    Or (in a friendlier manner :smile:) what do you get when you do as you propose ?

4. Aug 2, 2016 #3
    [-2,10] if i sub this values into f(2x+4) i would get 0 and 24 does this mean that the domain would be (0,24)

Would I just do the same for the range?

5. Aug 2, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Do you know what is meant by domain and range? Can you define it?
    Hint: Is f(24) defined?

6. Aug 2, 2016 #5
    the domain is pairs of x coordinates in order and the range is pairs of y coordinates in order

7. Aug 2, 2016 #6

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

The domain of a function is the set of values which are allowed to be used as inputs to the function. The notation "[-2,10]" denotes a range of values from -2 up through 10, inclusive. It does not denote an ordered pair.

8. Aug 2, 2016 #7

Ssnow

Gold Member

Remember that ##f(2x+4)=f\circ g## where ##g(x)=2x+4##, the composition requires that the range of ##g## is included in the domain of ##f## ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted