Domain of Rational Function: What is the domain of the given rational function?

In summary: Yep, knowing Greg, he was likely just trying to pile on some extra "busy work" rather than attempting to take you down a path that might lead to a better understanding of certain types of rational functions....
mathdad
Find the domain of the rational function.

y = (6x^2 + 11x + 4)/(3x + 4)

Solution:

Let denominator = 0 and solve for x.

3x + 4 = 0

3x = -4

x = -4/3

This means the domain is any real number except for
x = -4/3.

When x = -4/3, the denominator becomes 0, which is undefined.

Correct?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
Find the domain of the rational function.

y = (6x^2 + 11x + 4)/(3x + 4)

Solution:

Let denominator = 0 and solve for x.

3x + 4 = 0

3x = -4

x = -4/3

This means the domain is any real number except for
x = -4/3.

When x = -4/3, the denominator becomes 0, which is undefined.

Correct?

Right.

You have got so many posts now you should start posting in latex. Then people shall not struggle to find the equation that you have mentioned.

you can find the latex guide in the link below

http://mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?1142-MHB-Latex-Guide-PDF

kaliprasad said:
Right.

You have got so many posts now you should start posting in latex. Then people shall not struggle to find the equation that you have mentioned.

you can find the latex guide in the link below

http://mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?1142-MHB-Latex-Guide-PDF

I do not have a computer, laptop, or tablet. Some of the symbols needed to use latex are not in my Samsong J7 phone. All my questions are posted via cell phone keyboard which is very limited.

RTCNTC said:
I do not have a computer, laptop, or tablet. Some of the symbols needed to use latex are not in my Samsong J7 phone. All my questions are posted via cell phone keyboard which is very limited.

What symbols are you lacking? Creating $\LaTeX$ markup doesn't call for any special characters that I can think of, and the vast majority of the symbols/commands used can be found in our Quick LaTeX tool. :D

My question is about domain not latex but I will try the Quick LaTex tool box occassionally.

RTCNTC said:
My question is about domain not latex but I will try the Quick LaTex tool box occassionally.

The issue raised concerns the readability of posts with mathematical expressions formatted in plain text vs. those formatted using $\LaTeX$. For all but the simplest of expressions, trying to read those formatted in plain text becomes difficult, adding an extra burden on those trying to provide help. Those seeking help, should in general, try to take steps to present their questions in the best way possible.

Now, it is quite understandable that a new user may not be familiar with $\LaTeX$, but after hundreds of posts, we do kind of expect a user to make the effort to learn how to use of $\LaTeX$. It's not an absolute requirement, but those providing help do appreciate easier to read posts and the effort shown. :D

I tried using Quick LaTex but the image did not show up.

Give me an example.

How do I use QUICK LATEX to create an image for

y = x^3

y = x^(1/5)

y = e^x

Can you write the steps down? I do not think this will work on my cell phone.

RTCNTC said:
I tried using Quick LaTex but the image did not show up.

Give me an example.

How do I use QUICK LATEX to create an image for

y = x^3

y = x^(1/5)

y = e^x

Can you write the steps down? I do not think this will work on my cell phone.

On the toolbar above where you enter your post content, you should see a button with a \(\displaystyle \sum\) symbol on it. Click that to generate the [MATH][/MATH] tags. Your cursor will be located in between the tags. Now you are ready to enter your LaTeX code. Type y=x^3 so that you have:

[MATH]y=x^3[/MATH]

and your post will look like:

\(\displaystyle y=x^3\)

For y = x^(1/5),

\(\displaystyle y={x}^{1/5}\)

- - - Updated - - -

For y = e^x,

\(\displaystyle y={e}^{x}\)

$$y = \frac{6x^2 + 11x + 4}{3x + 4}$$

Follow-up question:

What does the graph of $y$ look like?

greg1313 said:

Follow-up question:

It reminds me of "Abacab" by Genesis...hehehe. :D

I forgot how to graph rational functions. I usually go to wolfram for all my graphs.

greg1313 said:

Follow-up question:

I typically use wolfram for all my graphs. I am more concerned with computation than graphing by hand.

RTCNTC said:
I forgot how to graph rational functions. I usually go to wolfram for all my graphs.

Hint: Try factoring the numerator...:D

Mark,

My concern is computation, especially becoming an "expert" in terms of translating word problems to equations. I use wolfram for all my graphs. Remind me to share my Bank One story.

RTCNTC said:
Mark,

My concern is computation, especially becoming an "expert" in terms of translating word problems to equations. I use wolfram for all my graphs. Remind me to share my Bank One story.

Yep, knowing Greg, he was likely just trying to pile on some extra "busy work" rather than attempting to take you down a path that might lead to a better understanding of certain types of rational functions. (Giggle)

I love graphs but there is no need to master the art of graphing by hand, especially since I am not in any particular math class. I am simply reviewing precalculus. I took precalculus in the Spring semester 1993 at Lehman College as an elective course and got an A minus. I have seen hundreds of rational functions but computation is my main concern. I do not care about graphing by hand as much as I needed to learn this skill in 1993.

What is a domain of a rational function?

The domain of a rational function is the set of all real numbers that can be substituted into the function without resulting in a denominator of zero. In other words, it is the set of all values that the independent variable can take on.

How do you find the domain of a rational function?

To find the domain of a rational function, you must identify any values that would make the denominator of the function equal to zero. These values are not included in the domain. Additionally, any values that would result in an undefined value, such as taking the square root of a negative number, are also not included in the domain.

Can the domain of a rational function be negative numbers?

Yes, the domain of a rational function can include negative numbers. As long as the denominator does not equal zero, any real number can be included in the domain.

Can the domain of a rational function be infinite?

Yes, the domain of a rational function can be infinite if there are no restrictions on the values that the independent variable can take on. This is often the case for linear or quadratic rational functions.

Why is it important to find the domain of a rational function?

It is important to find the domain of a rational function because it tells us which values the function is defined for. This can help us determine the range of the function and identify any asymptotes. Additionally, for practical applications, it ensures that we do not use values that would result in undefined or impossible solutions.