Don't understand what the book means, a tensor thing....

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion about a concept in the book "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" regarding the cosine of the angle between two coordinates after rotating them. The conversation also includes a formula for calculating this angle and its relationship to partial derivatives. The individual is seeking clarification and further explanation on this concept.
Oz123

Homework Statement

Right, so it's not really an assignment or anything, just confused of what a book says. the book is "mathematical methods for physicists." The screenshot is attached.
The thing that I'm confused about is that it says "As before, aij is the cosine of the angle between x′i and xj ." This is from rotating the coordinates, so x' is the new coordinates whilst x is the old one. And then it defined aij as the partial derivatives of the x'i wrt xj...Now I don't know how the cosine of the angle between x'i and xj is equal to the partial derivative. Can anyone explain this to me? Thank you in advanced!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-12 at 1.02.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-12 at 1.02.31 AM.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 415
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's more info about aij being cosine angles:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-12 at 1.12.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-12 at 1.12.57 AM.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 421
If [tex]x'_i = \sum_j a_{ij} x_j[/tex] then [tex]
\frac{\partial x'_i}{\partial x_k} = \sum_j a_{ij} \frac{\partial x_j}{\partial x_k} = a_{ik}[/tex] since [tex]\frac{\partial x_j}{\partial x_k} = \delta_{jk}[/tex].

Thank you very much!

1. What is a tensor?

A tensor is a mathematical object used to represent physical quantities and their relationships in multi-dimensional space. It is a generalization of vectors and matrices, and is essential in understanding concepts in physics and engineering.

2. Why is it important to understand tensors?

Tensors are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, mathematics, and computer science. They help us describe and analyze complex systems and phenomena, and are especially crucial in understanding topics such as relativity, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics.

3. How do tensors relate to vectors and matrices?

Vectors and matrices can be thought of as special cases of tensors. Vectors are tensors of rank 1, and matrices are tensors of rank 2. Tensors of higher ranks have more dimensions and allow for more complex representations of physical quantities.

4. What are some real-world applications of tensors?

Tensors are used in many applications, including image and signal processing, machine learning, and computer graphics. They are also essential in fields such as fluid mechanics, materials science, and general relativity.

5. How can I better understand tensors?

Understanding tensors may require a strong background in mathematics, specifically in linear algebra and calculus. It may also be helpful to use visual aids and practice solving problems. There are also many online resources and textbooks available that can help explain the concept in more detail.