1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to prove that something transforms like a tensor?

1. Mar 26, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have several problems that ask me to prove that some quantity "transforms like a tensor"

For example:

"Suppose that for each choice of contravariant vector (a vector) A^nu(x), the quantities B_mu(x) are defined at teach point through a linear relationship of the form
    B_mu(x) =T_mu_nu(x) A^nu(x)
    transform like a covariant vector (1-form). Prove that the quantities T_mu_nu(x) transform like a tensor of type (0,2) at each point."

(Here an underscore followed by a letter is a lower index and a caret followed by a letter is an upper index).

2. Relevant equations

Transformation property of a tensor:
    T'_mu_nu = dx^mu/dx'^mu dx^nu/dx'^nu T_mu_nu

(dx is a partial derivative and)

3. The attempt at a solution

My first guess is that I need to apply a coordinate transformation to both sides of the equation given in the problem, but I'm kind of stuck there. I don't know how to manipulate things to get T_mu_nu by itself and show it obeys the tensor transformation property.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2017 #2
    I think you are correct. To get the partial derivative of x with respect to x prime you need x as a function x prime. And that is the coordinate transformation you mentioned. Probably in you problem or examples the tensor component is already given in one coordinaye system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted