How to prove that something transforms like a tensor?

In summary: So if you change to a different coordinate system, you can use the transformation law for a tensor. In summary, the task is to prove that the quantities T_mu_nu(x) transform like a tensor of type (0,2) at each point, which can be done by applying a coordinate transformation to both sides of the given equation.
Chris B

Homework Statement

I have several problems that ask me to prove that some quantity "transforms like a tensor"

For example:

"Suppose that for each choice of contravariant vector (a vector) A^nu(x), the quantities B_mu(x) are defined at teach point through a linear relationship of the form
B_mu(x) =T_mu_nu(x) A^nu(x)
transform like a covariant vector (1-form). Prove that the quantities T_mu_nu(x) transform like a tensor of type (0,2) at each point."

(Here an underscore followed by a letter is a lower index and a caret followed by a letter is an upper index).

Homework Equations

Transformation property of a tensor:
T'_mu_nu = dx^mu/dx'^mu dx^nu/dx'^nu T_mu_nu

(dx is a partial derivative and)

The Attempt at a Solution

My first guess is that I need to apply a coordinate transformation to both sides of the equation given in the problem, but I'm kind of stuck there. I don't know how to manipulate things to get T_mu_nu by itself and show it obeys the tensor transformation property.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chris B said:

Homework Statement

I have several problems that ask me to prove that some quantity "transforms like a tensor"

For example:

"Suppose that for each choice of contravariant vector (a vector) A^nu(x), the quantities B_mu(x) are defined at teach point through a linear relationship of the form
B_mu(x) =T_mu_nu(x) A^nu(x)
transform like a covariant vector (1-form). Prove that the quantities T_mu_nu(x) transform like a tensor of type (0,2) at each point."

(Here an underscore followed by a letter is a lower index and a caret followed by a letter is an upper index).

Homework Equations

Transformation property of a tensor:
T'_mu_nu = dx^mu/dx'^mu dx^nu/dx'^nu T_mu_nu

(dx is a partial derivative and)

The Attempt at a Solution

My first guess is that I need to apply a coordinate transformation to both sides of the equation given in the problem, but I'm kind of stuck there. I don't know how to manipulate things to get T_mu_nu by itself and show it obeys the tensor transformation property.
I think you are correct. To get the partial derivative of x with respect to x prime you need x as a function x prime. And that is the coordinate transformation you mentioned. Probably in you problem or examples the tensor component is already given in one coordinaye system.

Related to How to prove that something transforms like a tensor?

1. How do you define a tensor?

A tensor is a mathematical object that describes a geometric relationship between vectors, scalars, and other tensors. It is represented by a multi-dimensional array of numbers and its transformation properties are defined by its rank and the coordinate system in which it is defined.

2. What is the significance of proving that something transforms like a tensor?

Proving that something transforms like a tensor is important because it ensures that the physical laws and equations used in scientific studies hold true in all reference frames. It also allows for the accurate representation of physical quantities and their relationships in various coordinate systems.

3. What is the mathematical process for proving that something transforms like a tensor?

The mathematical process for proving that something transforms like a tensor involves using transformation laws and coordinate transformations to show that the tensor components in one coordinate system can be transformed into the components in another coordinate system. This is often done by using index notation and Einstein's summation convention.

4. Can a tensor be proven to transform differently in different coordinate systems?

No, a tensor's transformation properties are independent of the coordinate system in which it is defined. This means that the tensor will transform in the same way regardless of the coordinate system used, as long as the same transformation laws and rules are applied.

5. Are there any practical examples of tensors and their transformation properties in science?

Yes, there are many practical examples of tensors and their transformation properties in various fields of science. For instance, in physics, the stress-energy tensor is used to describe the distribution of energy and momentum in space, and it transforms like a tensor under changes in reference frame. In engineering, tensors are used to describe the stress and strain in materials, and they transform like tensors under changes in coordinate systems.