Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Don't worry - this is not a test.

1. Two characters are tickling each other

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. You know...

17 vote(s)
    68.0%
  3. I don't want to talk about it

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  4. Other

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. Aug 17, 2005 #1

honestrosewater

Gold Member

This pair of images caught my eye as I was flipping through my psychology book. I just had to share them with you guys to find out whether I am the only one who, well, you'll see.
    The images are used in language experiments with toddlers. The toddler sits on their mother's lap in front of the two images, like TV screens, one depicting Cookie Monster tickling Big Bird, the other Big Bird ticklng Cookie Monster. A message is then played saying either, "Oh look! Big Bird is tickling Cookie Monster," or "Oh look! Cookie Monster is tickling Big Bird." Hidden observers record which image the child turns its attention to. The point is to see whether the kids look at the image corresponding to the sentence they just heard (and by inference, whether they understood the sentence). What I want to know: What exactly do they mean by 'tickling'? :confused:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2005 #2

JamesU

Gold Member

I see them tickling each other. but I can see why other people are reluctant to vote :surprised

4. Aug 17, 2005 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'll go with door #2: to touch (as a body part) lightly so as to excite the surface nerves and cause uneasiness, laughter, or spasmodic movements

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=tickling&x=11&y=18

5. Aug 17, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Okay, if I put myself in the frame of mind of a toddler, yes, it's just tickling, but when my adult, gutter-oriented brain looks at the photos, they look like they're groping each other! :rofl: And, well, it looks like Big Bird is doing more than just that to Cookie Monster in the left picture. :bugeye:

6. Aug 17, 2005 #5

Evo

Dirty minds. :grumpy:

In the first picture, if I didn't know it was "tickling", I'd say that Big Bird is about to pick Cookie Monster up. The second picture, obviously Big Bird has his legs crossed because he's trying not to pee. No clue why Cookie Monster is holding him. I might have guessed that they were dancing.

Now do you see just how boring I am?

7. Aug 17, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

They look like there shaking eachother

You perverts...

8. Aug 17, 2005 #7

honestrosewater

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: Well, I saw the images first - without the explanation - and being in a psychology book, I thought 'uh oh, this is one of those tests to see how perverted I am...' :uhh:
    But it doesn't even really look like tickling to me. I think Cookie Monster's expressions are hilarious.

9. Aug 17, 2005 #8

Evo

It probably is. :biggrin:

10. Aug 17, 2005 #9

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Ha, I bet - they never tell you the real purpose of the test. :devil:

11. Aug 17, 2005 #10
    Is it just me or does Big Bird look drunk in the second one? I think that is why his legs are crossed, because he is about to fall over. Big Bird's eyes too, ohh those images are funny!

12. Aug 18, 2005 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And of course by the way you asked, that's what jumped first to my mind too. Though, before I read the text and opened the full-sized images, just looking at the thumbnails, the first one looks like Big Bird is using the Heimlich maneuver on Cookie Monster...maybe he choked on a cookie. And I agree with Evo that the crossed legs in the second one looks really funny, like Big Bird has to pee. I wasn't sure what the crossed legs were about at all. I don't cross my legs when I get tickled, I curl up into a ball!

13. Aug 18, 2005 #12
    I put other because I feel like the Big Yellow Bird is like almost fall down and the blue bird help him.

14. Aug 18, 2005 #13

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I would have gone with a picture of them tickling each other's feet. The toddlers still focused primarily on the images matching the sentences they heard, so I guess it worked for them.

15. Aug 18, 2005 #14
    Ok, I have a dirty mind I don't need a test to tell me that thank you.

16. Aug 18, 2005 #15

cronxeh

Gold Member

ok that yellow chick is definately violating the blue guy is definately violating the yellow chick

and if you think the bigger chick with such hand positions and torso positions at strategic positions is actually tickling the blue mofo, you are seriously not normal

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
  17. Aug 18, 2005 #16
    It isn't what you think it is. It is blindly obvious that they lack any genitals and therefore both Big Bird and The Cookie Monster reproduce asexually.

18. Aug 18, 2005 #17
    Argh! It burns my eyes! Get it away! Get it away!

It does look a bit suspect...

19. Aug 18, 2005 #18
    :rofl: it's all about the expressions!!!! LMAO

20. Aug 18, 2005 #19

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It seems they are having fun, at any rate.

21. Aug 18, 2005 #20

honestrosewater

Gold Member

That's putting it mildy - Cookie Monster is cross-eyed and Big Bird's knees are buckling, for goodness' sake! I was looking forward to your reaction most of all. :frown: Surely, you have something exceptionally funny to say that sounds even funnier coming from you... like 'I guess what they say about puppets is true...' Oh, nevermind, I don't want to put you on the spot. :smile:

I'm getting worse - the name Dennis Prager showed up in my search results for something, and for a second, I thought it said Penis Dragger. I am far gone, far gone. :devil:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?