1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doppler effect/ distance

1. May 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A stuntwoman is preparing to take a punch, crash through a "candy glass" window, and fall a long distance. The script calls for her to emit a piercing scream just before she hits the "ground." In reality, she will land on a waiting airbag. Lights! Camera! Action! The primary camera crew, filming from her starting height, hears her last-instant scream at a frequency 3.77 kHz. Her scream has a frequency of 4.05 kHz when she is at rest. How far did she fall? Report this as a positive distance.

2. Relevant equations

Fl=Fs(v-Vl/v+Vs)

3. The attempt at a solution

I have easily found the speed of the girl falling to be 25.5m/s but I dont even know where to start as far as finding her distance. I have considered finding the wavelength but I dont know where to go from there. Do I need to you an echo equation for this? I've been looking at it for a solid 2 hours convinced I could figure it out but I'm about to the point where I need a little guidance. I dont need an answer I just need an idea of where to go from here. This isnt due for another 3 weeks but its driving me insane.

THANKS!

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2010 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good 'ol kinematics might help. :wink: You know g = 9.8 m/s2. Assuming her initial position and velocity were both approximately zero, how far would she have to fall to reach the target velocity, when accelerating at g?

[If you don't remember the single, direct equation for this, you can use a couple other kinematics equations. Use one equation to calculate the time it takes to reach the final velocity, then another equation to calculate the distance.]

4. May 26, 2010 #3
    I was afraid it would be something like that. . . thanks. I should be able to get it from here but if not ill be back within the next 20 minutes haha

5. May 26, 2010 #4
    Wow, that was ridiculously easy. 33.15m. Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook