How Far Did the Stuntwoman Fall Based on Doppler Shift Analysis?

In summary, the stuntwoman will fall 33.15m before hitting the airbag. The primary camera crew will hear her scream at a frequency of 3.77 kHz just before she hits the ground, while her scream has a frequency of 4.05 kHz when she is at rest. The speed of the girl falling is 25.5m/s and kinematics equations can be used to calculate the distance she will fall.
jwbehm

Homework Statement

A stuntwoman is preparing to take a punch, crash through a "candy glass" window, and fall a long distance. The script calls for her to emit a piercing scream just before she hits the "ground." In reality, she will land on a waiting airbag. Lights! Camera! Action! The primary camera crew, filming from her starting height, hears her last-instant scream at a frequency 3.77 kHz. Her scream has a frequency of 4.05 kHz when she is at rest. How far did she fall? Report this as a positive distance.

Homework Equations

Fl=Fs(v-Vl/v+Vs)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have easily found the speed of the girl falling to be 25.5m/s but I don't even know where to start as far as finding her distance. I have considered finding the wavelength but I don't know where to go from there. Do I need to you an echo equation for this? I've been looking at it for a solid 2 hours convinced I could figure it out but I'm about to the point where I need a little guidance. I don't need an answer I just need an idea of where to go from here. This isn't due for another 3 weeks but its driving me insane.

THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
Good 'ol kinematics might help. :wink: You know g = 9.8 m/s2. Assuming her initial position and velocity were both approximately zero, how far would she have to fall to reach the target velocity, when accelerating at g?

[If you don't remember the single, direct equation for this, you can use a couple other kinematics equations. Use one equation to calculate the time it takes to reach the final velocity, then another equation to calculate the distance.]

I was afraid it would be something like that. . . thanks. I should be able to get it from here but if not ill be back within the next 20 minutes haha

Wow, that was ridiculously easy. 33.15m. Thanks for the help!

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of the Doppler effect and how it relates to distance. The Doppler effect is the change in frequency of a wave, such as sound, due to the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. In this case, the source of the sound is the stuntwoman and the observer is the camera crew.

Next, I would use the equation Fl=Fs(v-Vl/v+Vs) to relate the observed frequency (Fl) to the emitted frequency (Fs) and the velocities of the source (Vl) and the observer (Vs). From the given information, I can plug in the values for Fl and Fs and solve for the difference between Vl and Vs.

Once I have the difference between the velocities, I can use the fact that the stuntwoman is falling at a constant acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2 to find the time it takes for her to fall. Then, using the equation d=Vot + 1/2at^2, I can calculate the distance (d) she fell.

So, in summary, to find the distance she fell, I would use the Doppler effect equation to find the difference between the velocities of the source and observer, use the constant acceleration of gravity to find the time, and then use the distance formula to calculate the distance.

1) What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is a phenomenon where the frequency of a wave (such as sound or light) appears to change when the source of the wave is moving towards or away from an observer. This results in a perceived change in pitch or color.

2) How does the Doppler effect relate to distance?

The Doppler effect can be used to determine the relative distance of a moving object. The amount of frequency shift observed is directly proportional to the distance between the source and the observer. This is commonly used in astronomy to measure the speed and distance of celestial objects.

3) What is the difference between the Doppler effect for sound and light waves?

The main difference is the speed at which the waves travel. Sound waves travel much slower than light waves, so the Doppler effect is more noticeable for sound. Additionally, sound waves require a medium to travel through (such as air) while light waves can travel through a vacuum.

4) How does the Doppler effect affect the perception of sound?

If the source of a sound is moving towards an observer, the frequency of the sound waves will increase, resulting in a higher pitch. Conversely, if the source is moving away, the frequency will decrease, resulting in a lower pitch. This is commonly experienced with passing sirens or car horns.

5) Can the Doppler effect be used for anything besides measuring distance?

Yes, the Doppler effect has many practical applications in fields such as meteorology, radar technology, and medical imaging. It can also be used to study the motion of objects in space and the behavior of particles in fluids.