Solving Doppler Shift to Calculate Cyclist's Speed

In summary: n'=-1 if the train is in the opposite direction, n=1 if the train is the same direction.v'=-1 if the train is in the opposite direction, v=1 if the train is the same direction.
Beatdiz

Homework Statement

A man riding his bicycle was caught driving through a red traffic light. The man was taken to court and trialled where he claimed he was cycling so quickly that the light had appeared to be green to him due to the Doppler effect. The prosecution accepted his excuse but decided to find him 1 Euro for every km hr by which the cyclist was traveling at.

Combine and re-arrange the following two equations to give an equation that relates to the speed of the cyclist to the shift in the wavelength of the light emitted by the traffic light.

Homework Equations

z=[Δλ] / [λ0] ... Where z is the red/blueshift, λ0 is the original wavelength, Δλ is the change in wavelength

v= z x c ... Where v is the speed of the galaxy, c is the speed of light, z is as above.

The Attempt at a Solution

s = Speed of motorist

s = [(c)(Δλ/λ0)2-c] / [(Δλ/λ0)2+1]

Does my equation look correct as I'm not convinced? Any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is anyone able to help with this please? :)

Beatdiz;3288040[h2 said:
The Attempt at a Solution[/h2]
s = Speed of motorist

s = [(c)(Δλ/λ0)2-c] / [(Δλ/λ0)2+1]

Does my equation look correct as I'm not convinced? Any help would be great.

Hi Beatdiz, welcome to PF! :smile:

I do not understand how you arrived at your equation for s.
In your case you do not have to work with "the speed of the galaxy v".
But your v is simply the speed of the bicyclist.
No need to introduce a new symbol s, of which I do not understand what you did with it.

So your equation should simply read:
v = (Δλ/λ0) x c

Cheers!

Last edited:
Beatdiz said:
Is anyone able to help with this please? :)

I think you need to start with more realistic examples, like that one:
in a train station, one train arrives exactly each [tex]n[/tex] minutes, always in the same direction.
All the train travels at [tex]v[/tex] speed
Now you take a train in the opposite direction running at [tex]v'[/tex] , you cross a train in the opposite direction each [tex]n'[/tex] minutes.

State [tex]n'[/tex] as a function of the other data.

I would first like to point out that the equations provided are for calculating the speed of a galaxy, not a cyclist. However, the general concept of using the Doppler effect to calculate speed is applicable in both cases.

To solve this problem, we can use the equation v = z x c, where v is the speed of the cyclist, z is the red/blueshift, and c is the speed of light. In this case, we are looking for the speed of the cyclist, so we can rearrange the equation to solve for v:

v = z x c

We can then substitute the value for z from the first equation, z = (Δλ/λ0), into the second equation:

v = (Δλ/λ0) x c

Now, we need to rearrange this equation to solve for the speed of the cyclist. We can do this by multiplying both sides by λ0 and then dividing by Δλ:

v = (Δλ/λ0) x c

v = c x (Δλ/λ0)

v = c x (Δλ/λ0) / Δλ

v = c x (1/λ0)

Finally, we can substitute the values for the original wavelength, λ0, and the change in wavelength, Δλ, to get our final equation:

v = c / (λ0 + Δλ)

This equation relates the speed of the cyclist to the shift in the wavelength of the light emitted by the traffic light. To find the speed of the cyclist, we would need to know the original wavelength of the light and the change in wavelength caused by the Doppler effect.

1. What is the Doppler Shift Effect?

The Doppler Shift Effect is a phenomenon in which the frequency of a wave appears to change when the source of the wave is moving relative to the observer. This effect is commonly observed in sound waves, where the pitch of a sound appears to change as a moving object approaches or moves away from the observer.

2. How does the Doppler Shift Effect relate to calculating a cyclist's speed?

In the context of calculating a cyclist's speed, the Doppler Shift Effect is used to determine the change in frequency of sound waves emitted by the cyclist as they approach or move away from a stationary observer. By measuring this change in frequency, the cyclist's speed can be calculated using the known speed of sound.

3. What equipment is needed to measure the Doppler Shift Effect for a cyclist's speed?

To accurately measure the Doppler Shift Effect for a cyclist's speed, specialized equipment such as a radar gun or a speed gun with a Doppler radar function is needed. These devices emit and receive sound waves, allowing for the calculation of the cyclist's speed based on the change in frequency.

4. What are the key factors that affect the accuracy of calculating a cyclist's speed using the Doppler Shift Effect?

The accuracy of calculating a cyclist's speed using the Doppler Shift Effect can be affected by several factors, including the angle of the cyclist's movement relative to the observer, wind conditions, and any obstructions that may interfere with the sound waves. Additionally, the accuracy of the speed gun or radar gun being used can also impact the results.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Doppler Shift Effect to calculate a cyclist's speed?

While the Doppler Shift Effect can provide a relatively accurate estimation of a cyclist's speed, there are some limitations to consider. These include the need for specialized equipment and ideal weather conditions, as well as potential errors due to the variability of sound wave speed in different environments. Additionally, this method may not be as accurate for cyclists traveling at very high speeds.