The Doppler Effect of police car

In summary, the astronomer's story about the Doppler shift causing a red light to appear green was used against him in court, leading to his conviction for speeding. The velocity needed for this color shift to be true would be approximately -0.2857 times the speed of light, indicating a blue shift and an approaching car.
Sastronaut

Homework Statement

There is a classic story (likely apocryphal) about an astronomer who was caught by a policeman for running a red light. The astronomer went to court and pleaded innocent, saying that the motion of his car made the red light (with a wavelength around 700 nm) shift to a green color (with a wavelength around 500 nm) due to the Doppler shift. The judge said something like “OK, you’re innocent of running a red light, but by your own testimony I am convicting you of speeding!” How fast would the astronomer have to have been speeding for his story to have been true? That is, calculate the velocity needed for the claimed color shift to be true. [express this velocity as a fraction of the speed of light.]

Homework Equations

Given: (V_rad/c)=Δλ/λ_o

The Attempt at a Solution

(500nm-700nm)/700nm=V_rad/(3x10^5km/s)
V_rad = -85714.29km/s
or
-.2857c

*********Am I doing my math correctly here? What is the significance of a negative value for V_rad? Do I just need to specify what direction I call positive and negative to eliminate the negative sign?

Physics news on Phys.org
You solved it correctly. The negative sign indicates a blue shift which means the car is approaching the light rather than moving away from it.

Likes 1 person
Okay I thought that may have been a possibility as well but thank you very much vela for clearing it up for me!

1. What is the Doppler Effect of a police car?

The Doppler Effect of a police car refers to the change in frequency of sound waves as the car moves towards or away from a stationary observer. This change in frequency is perceived as a change in pitch of the siren.

2. How does the Doppler Effect of a police car work?

The Doppler Effect of a police car works by the change in distance between the car and the observer. As the car moves closer, the sound waves are compressed, resulting in a higher pitch. As the car moves away, the sound waves are stretched, resulting in a lower pitch.

3. Why is the Doppler Effect of a police car important?

The Doppler Effect of a police car is important because it allows the siren to be heard at a greater distance. The change in pitch alerts drivers and pedestrians of the approaching emergency vehicle, allowing them to make way and prevent accidents.

4. Can the Doppler Effect of a police car be used for other purposes?

Yes, the Doppler Effect of a police car can be used for other purposes, such as measuring the speed of a moving object. By analyzing the change in frequency of sound waves, the speed of the object can be calculated using the Doppler Effect formula.

5. What factors can affect the Doppler Effect of a police car?

The Doppler Effect of a police car can be affected by the speed and direction of the car, as well as the speed and direction of the observer. Other factors such as wind and obstacles can also impact the perceived pitch of the siren.