How Does Doppler Shift Affect Light From a Shuttle to a Mother Ship in Space?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of Doppler shift and its application in the scenario of a mother ship traveling away from Earth at .5c and a shuttle taking off from the mother ship in the same direction at .5c. It was determined that due to the relativistic time dilation factor, the wavelength of a blue laser fired from the shuttle would approximately double as it reached a transparent screen on the mother ship, appearing as a deep red color. Further calculations were made to determine the apparent speed of the shuttle as seen from Earth and the resulting Doppler shift. The conversation concluded with gratitude for the helpful answers provided.
Buckethead
Gold Member
Imagine a mother ship traveling away from Earth at .5c and a shuttle takes off from the mother ship in the same direction of travel at .5c relative to the mother ship. The shuttle fires a blue laser (400nm) to a transparent screen mounted on top of the mother ship as it is traveling away. Due to the Doppler shift of

[itex]1-v/c[/itex] = .5 for v=.5c

the wavelength approximately doubles at this speed causing the blue light to light the screen with a deep red color (around 800nm) . A telescope on Earth views the screen and since the screen is moving away from the Earth at .5c it gets red shifted again to an infrared color of around 1600nm. Between the shuttle and the mother ship the speed is fairly non-relativistic (.5c) as is the speed between the ship and the Earth so I'm just using the simpler form of the Doppler shift to calculate the wavelengths.

My questions are:

1) If the above assumptions about calculating the total Doppler shift is wrong, why?

2) What is the apparent speed of the shuttle as seen from Earth and how do I calculate it?

3) If I use just the apparent speed of the shuttle as seen from Earth in the Doppler formula will the answer differ from my calculation above (assuming my assumptions were correct of course).

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Buckethead said:
2) What is the apparent speed of the shuttle as seen from Earth and how do I calculate it?
You use the formula for relativistic velocity addition (google will find it for you) and it will be .8c

the speed is fairly non-relativistic (.5c)
That's not "fairly non-relativistic"... Something like .05c might be.

Also there's a relativistic doppler shift formula.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/reldop2.html

If something is approaching at .5c you take the square root of

(1+β)/(1-β) =1.5/0.5 = 3

so the frequency you receive is √3 times the frequency sent.

In your case the little ship is receding at .5c so there is a minus sign on the beta
(1+β)/(1-β) =0.5/1.5 = 1/3
so the ratio is the square root of 1/3

Last edited:
If you want the wavelength to double you need speeds of 0.6, not 0.5. The Doppler factor is ##\sqrt{\frac{1+0.6}{1-0.6}}=2##.

The shuttle's speed relative to Earth is ##\frac{0.6+0.6}{1+(0.6)(0.6)}=\frac{1.2}{1.36} \approx 0.88##.

The Doppler factor at this speed is ##\sqrt{\frac{1+\frac{1.2}{1.36}}{1-\frac{1.2}{1.36}}}=4##.

Buckethead said:
Imagine a mother ship traveling away from Earth at .5c and a shuttle takes off from the mother ship in the same direction of travel at .5c relative to the mother ship. The shuttle fires a blue laser (400nm) to a transparent screen mounted on top of the mother ship as it is traveling away. Due to the Doppler shift of

[itex]1-v/c[/itex] = .5 for v=.5c

the wavelength approximately doubles at this speed causing the blue light to light the screen with a deep red color (around 800nm)

If you use the relativistic formula, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_Doppler_effect

the wavelength increases by sqrt(3) for ##\beta = 0.5## using the formula
$$\sqrt{\frac{1+\beta}{1-\beta}}$$

where ##\beta = v/c##

I double-checked the sign of ##\beta##, according to Wiki they look right. In words, the relativistic time dilation factor makes the relativistic doppler shift have a lower magnitude (sqrt(3) ##\approx## 1.32## than the non-relativistic doppler shift.

.A telescope on Earth views the screen and since the screen is moving away from the Earth at .5c it gets red shifted again to an infrared color of around 1600nm.

The doppler shifts multiply, so the factor of sqrt(3) becomes a 3:1 doppler shift, making the wavelignth 1200nm.
Between the shuttle and the mother ship the speed is fairly non-relativistic (.5c) as is the speed between the ship and the Earth so I'm just using the simpler form of the Doppler shift to calculate the wavelengths.

My questions are:

1) If the above assumptions about calculating the total Doppler shift is wrong, why?

3) If I use just the apparent speed of the shuttle as seen from Earth in the Doppler formula will the answer differ from my calculation above (assuming my assumptions were correct of course).

Thanks

To get the velocity of the ship relative to earth, use the relativistic velocity addition formula:

$${\beta}_{tot} = \frac{\beta_1 + \beta_2}{1 + \beta_1 \beta_2} = \frac{1}{1.25} = .8$$

Substituting ##\beta=.8## into the relativistic doppler formula gives a doppler shift of 3, as expected.

Fantastic! Thank you all very much for your help. These were exactly the answers I was looking for. This site (and the people in it) is amazing!

1. What is the Doppler shift of two ships?

The Doppler shift of two ships is a phenomenon in which the frequency of a sound or light wave appears to change as the source and observer are in motion relative to each other. In the case of two ships, the sound or light waves may appear to have a higher frequency when the ships are approaching each other, and a lower frequency when they are moving away from each other.

2. How does the Doppler shift of two ships occur?

The Doppler shift of two ships occurs because of the relative motion between the source of the sound or light waves (one ship) and the observer (the other ship). As the distance between the two ships changes, the frequency of the waves also changes, resulting in a perceived shift in frequency.

3. Can the Doppler shift of two ships be observed with any type of wave?

Yes, the Doppler shift can occur with any type of wave, including sound waves, light waves, and even water waves. As long as there is relative motion between the source and observer, the Doppler shift will occur.

4. How is the Doppler shift of two ships used in scientific research?

The Doppler shift of two ships can be used in a variety of scientific research, such as studying the movement of objects in space or monitoring the speed and direction of ocean currents. It is also commonly used in medical imaging techniques, such as Doppler ultrasound, to measure blood flow in the body.

5. Is the Doppler shift of two ships affected by the speed of the ships?

Yes, the speed of the ships will affect the magnitude of the Doppler shift. The faster the ships are moving towards or away from each other, the greater the change in frequency will be. This is because the distance between the ships changes more rapidly, resulting in a larger perceived shift in frequency.