Double integral showing a range of values?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a question involving a double integral on a bounded region. The integral is between two values and the participants are trying to prove that the lower bound is 2(sqrt5-2)pi. They discuss using different approaches such as converting to polar coordinates, but it is mentioned that the integrand must be changed as well. The conversation also looks into using an inequality in the original coordinates to find the lower bound. It is suggested that the upper bound can be found by considering the geometric interpretation and using the fact that the integrand is always smaller than 1/2. The participants also discuss the height and radius of the bounded region and how it relates to finding the upper bound.
caseyjay
Hi all,

I am faced with this question. I am asked to show that

[tex]
2(\sqrt{5}-2)\pi\leq\iint_{R}\frac{1}{\sqrt{4+sin^2x+sin^2y}}dA\leq\frac{\pi}{2}
[/tex]

Noting that the double integral is to be performed on region R which is bounded by the circle [tex]
x^2+y^2=1
[/tex]

From what I know, the double integral is a definite integral, then how come will it range from
[tex]
2(\sqrt{5}-2)\pi\leq
[/tex] to [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]?

What I manage to do is by letting [tex]u=sin x[/tex] and [tex]v=sin y[/tex].

Therefore it follows that:
[tex]
\iint_{R}\frac{1}{\sqrt{4+u^2+v^2}}dA
[/tex]

And converting it into polar coodinates by letting [tex]u=rcos\theta[/tex] and [tex]v=rsin\theta[/tex] and [tex]dA=rdrd\theta[/tex], I have:
[tex]
\int_{\theta=0}^{\theta=2\pi} \int_{r=0}^{r=1} \frac{r}{\sqrt{4+r^2}}drd\theta
[/tex]

And then solving the above will give me [tex]2(\sqrt{5}-2)\pi[/tex]. However even then, this is a definite integral. How will I get a range of values? And even for that matter, how am I going to prove that
[tex]
2(\sqrt{5}-2)\pi\leq\iint_{R}\frac{1}{\sqrt{4+sin^2x+sin^2y}}dA
[/tex]
when all I have now is:
[tex]
2(\sqrt{5}-2)\pi=\iint_{R}\frac{1}{\sqrt{4+sin^2x+sin^2y}}dA
[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm very sorry I still don't know how to use Latex, so I'll just give you a hint, it is wrong just let u=sinx, v=siny simply, if you do so you must change the coordinate using Jacobian,
indeed, you just need a tiny correction, notice that x>sinx, y>siny, then replace sinx, siny by x and y, you get an inequality.
for pi/2,just find the upper bond of the integrand, it's quite straightforward.

well, yeah, another correction x^2>sin^2(x),this would work.And besides upper bound we still need the lower bound ,right?
And mostly I was explaining this double integral does not equal to 2(sqrt5-2)pi,but larger than that

uuuhhh, is that a typo? I just took your approach as correct. Yikes! Anyway x^2 \geq \sin^2x, etc. Sorry to previous poster...

Hi,

I still don't quite get you. Basically you are letting x^2 > sin^2(x) and y^2 > sin^2(y). Why do you need to set it to greater and not let them be equal? And how can that lead to inequality? Is there some websites or book I can read about this?

Thanks in advance.
kof9595995 said:
well, yeah, another correction x^2>sin^2(x),this would work.And besides upper bound we still need the lower bound ,right?
And mostly I was explaining this double integral does not equal to 2(sqrt5-2)pi,but larger than that

Hi,

So instead of letting x^2=sin^2(x), we can let x^2>sin^2(x)? can you explain to me in more details?

Thanks!

kof9595995 said:
indeed, you just need a tiny correction, notice that x>sinx, y>siny, then replace sinx, siny by x and y, you get an inequality.
for pi/2,just find the upper bond of the integrand, it's quite straightforward.

well...it's not hard but a bit complicated to explain:
first, it is a definite integral an it has a certain value, but probably you cannot work it out, so it asks you for a range;
second, when you use u=sinx, v=siny, that is fine, but the following steps are wrong, you change the variables, so you need also change the integral element, for example, when you use polar coordinate, x=r*cosa, y=r*sina, you also change dxdy into rdrda,not just drda,but you just used dudv to replace dxdy at first, indeed this requires a Jacobian, you can search it on Wikipedia.
but using x^2>sin^2(x), you are not changing variables, but just construct an inequality in the original coordinate, so you won't need to change the integral element dxdy.
third, using x^2>sin^2(x) to construct the inequality, you'll find a new integrand always smaller than the original integrand, then you do the integral, you'll find the lower bond of the integral

Thanks kof9595995.

How will using x^2>=sin^2(x), I will get a new integrand smaller than the original one? I'm lost on this.

Secondly, even if I manage to find the lower bound, how do I approach to find the upper bound?

Finally if there is any website or book that discussed about integral inequality, please let me know.

Thanks.

kof9595995 said:
but using x^2>sin^2(x), you are not changing variables, but just construct an inequality in the original coordinate, so you won't need to change the integral element dxdy.
third, using x^2>sin^2(x) to construct the inequality, you'll find a new integrand always smaller than the original integrand, then you do the integral, you'll find the lower bond of the integral

sqrt[4+x^2+y^2]>sqrt[4+sin^2(x)+sin^2(y)], and it's the denominator ,so the integrand is smaller
the upper bound is rather easy, note that integrand is always smaller than 1/2, and the integrating area is pi*R^2=pi,so the integral must be smaller than pi/2

Oh dear I think my calculus is really lousy. :( I'm so confused now.

How is the integrand be smaller than 1/2 and how will that lead to upper bound being pi/2?

I'm sorry I am really lost on this.

kof9595995 said:
sqrt[4+x^2+y^2]>sqrt[4+sin^2(x)+sin^2(y)], and it's the denominator ,so the integrand is smaller
the upper bound is rather easy, note that integrand is always smaller than 1/2, and the integrating area is pi*R^2=pi,so the integral must be smaller than pi/2

because sqrt[4+sin^2(x)+sin^2(y)]>sqrt4=2, and if you think geometrically, the integral means a volume smaller than a cylinder with height 1/2 radius 1, algebraically, you can replace the integrand by 1/2, it'll also give the same result, but thinking geometrically is a shortcut.
Don't be upset,, it's still not abstract at this stage, just think more and practice more.

Erm... please let me know if I am on the right track.

the biggest value of sin^2(x) is 1. Hence, the biggest value of sqrt(4+sin^2(x)+sin^2(y)) is sqrt(6).

But why did you compare it with sqrt(4)?

Also I know that region A is defined by x^2+y^2=1, hence it's radius is 1. But why did you say that it has a height of 1/2 and not anything else?

kof9595995 said:
because sqrt[4+sin^2(x)+sin^2(y)]>sqrt4=2, and if you think geometrically, the integral means a volume smaller than a cylinder with height 1/2 radius 1, algebraically, you can replace the integrand by 1/2, it'll also give the same result, but thinking geometrically is a shortcut.
Don't be upset,, it's still not abstract at this stage, just think more and practice more.

because you want one upper bond of the integrand, so you need 4+sin^2(x)+sin^2(y)>=4+0+0=4, so integrand<=1/sqrt4=1/2, that why I say the height is 1/2

Hi kof9595995,

Thanks for your help. I more or less what is going on. Basically to find the upper bound, you let sin^2(x) and sin^2(y) be 0. But why do you not let sin^2(x) and sin^2(y) be 1 in order to find the lower bound?

Why do we proceed to convert the integrand to polar coordinates for lower bound, yet we let let sin^2(x) and sin^2(y) be 0 for upper bound?

kof9595995 said:
because you want one upper bond of the integrand, so you need 4+sin^2(x)+sin^2(y)>=4+0+0=4, so integrand<=1/sqrt4=1/2, that why I say the height is 1/2

huh,it doesn't really matter but then you can't get the result, which the problem asks for

Sorry for the late reply.

Thank you very much for your help!

Regards,
Casey

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation that calculates the volume under a surface in a two-dimensional space. It is represented by two integral signs and is used in a variety of scientific and engineering applications.

2. How is a double integral different from a single integral?

A single integral calculates the area under a curve in one dimension, while a double integral calculates the volume under a surface in two dimensions. This means that a double integral takes into account two variables, while a single integral only considers one.

3. What is the purpose of showing a range of values in a double integral?

Showing a range of values in a double integral allows for the calculation of the volume under a surface over a specific area. It can also be used to find the average value of a function over a given region.

4. How is a double integral evaluated?

A double integral is evaluated using the limits of integration, which define the boundaries of the region over which the volume is being calculated. The function being integrated is then multiplied by the differential area element, which is typically represented as "dA". The resulting expression is then solved using standard integration techniques.

5. In what fields of science is the concept of double integrals commonly used?

Double integrals are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are particularly useful in calculating areas, volumes, and averages in two-dimensional spaces, making them applicable in a wide range of scientific and engineering applications.