Understanding Symmetry in Double Integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a double integral over a triangular domain. The expert explains that by breaking apart the integral and considering the symmetry of the region, the x^5 term can be simplified to 0, leaving only the integral of e. The result is the area of the triangle multiplied by the constant e. The expert also suggests setting up the integral as a dx dy integral to better understand the concept.
Linday12

Homework Statement

Let D be the triangular domain given by 0[tex]\leq[/tex] y [tex]\leq[/tex]3, (y/3)-1 [tex]\leq[/tex] 1-(y/3). Then

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] (e-x[tex]^{5}[/tex]e^(sqrt(1+y^2))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There is a quick way to solve it by breaking apart the double integral and then, apparently the x^5 part goes to 0, by symmetry? Anyways, I'm not sure why.

Then I'm left with the double integral of e, and since the domain is just an isosceles triangle, I can multiply the area of it by the e(constant) to get 3e.

So my question is, why does that other part go to zero? I can't visualize it. Knowing this would be a great help. Thank you! (And sorry about the latex, I couldn't quite work it out)

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the integral supposed to be

[tex]\iint_R e - x^5 e^{\sqrt{1+y^2}}dA[/tex]

and is the region supposed to be

[tex] \frac y 3- 1 \le x \le 1 - \frac y 3[/tex]

If so, yes, it is because of the x5. When you integrate an odd power of x over a symmetric interval [-a,a] you get 0. Set it up as a dx dy integral and you will see.

Yes, that is it. I will make sure to do that. Thank you very much!

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation that calculates the volume under a curved surface in a 3-dimensional space.

2. How is a double integral different from a single integral?

A single integral calculates the area under a curve in a 2-dimensional space, while a double integral calculates the volume under a curved surface in a 3-dimensional space.

3. What is the purpose of symmetry in a double integral?

Symmetry in a double integral allows for simplification of the calculation by reducing the required number of integrals. This is because the integral over a symmetric region can be split into multiple parts that are equal to each other.

4. How do you determine if a function is symmetric about a certain axis?

A function is symmetric about an axis if it remains unchanged after reflection over that axis. For example, a function that is symmetric about the x-axis will have the same value at -x as it does at x.

5. What is the significance of symmetry in real-world applications of double integrals?

Symmetry in real-world applications of double integrals can help simplify calculations and provide insights into the behavior of a system. It can also be used to find patterns and relationships between variables in a system.