Integrating a 2-D Function: x^2+y^2 \leq 4

That's what I get.In summary, the given problem involves finding the double integral of y*sqrt(x^2 + y^2) over the region where x>=0, y>=0, and x^2+y^2<=4. The limits of integration are 0<=theta<=pi/2 and 0<=r<=2. After converting to polar coordinates, the integrand becomes r^3*sin(theta) and the iterated integral is evaluated to give an answer of 4.
the_godfather

Homework Statement

[tex]\int\int[/tex] y [tex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]dx dy

Homework Equations

x[tex]\geq[/tex] 0, y[tex]\geq[/tex] 0, x^2+y^2 [tex]\leq[/tex] 4

The Attempt at a Solution

first of all, what are the limits of integration

rearranging x^2+y^2 [tex]\leq[/tex] 4 you get x = 2 - y
this would be my limit of integration for the inner integral yes?

the limits for the outer integral cannot be a function so this would go between 2 and 0?

when the first integration is performed can the square root and y be multiplied out to give

yx + y^2 or is it a case of integrating by parts/substitution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok first off, I think you should understand what the region is a little better. So,
[tex]\left[x^2+y^2\leq4\right] \neq \left[x=2-y\right][/tex] that's just a simple algebra error (I assume when you took the square root you just applied it individually to 4 and y, but you can't do that!).

So, then, what does that region describe? Start off by thinking about the similar bound,
[tex]x^2+y^2=4[/tex]
any idea what that is? And if you do know what it is, what kind of coordinates are very convenient for describing that kind of geometry? :wink:

but if you use polar co-ordinates you don't have a value for theta

r = x^2 + y^2
=4
also how can the y part be obtained?

theta = arc tan (y/x)
this bit confused me

edit: theta can be obtained from what we know that x and y > 0. therefore theta = pi/2

Last edited:
Your region is not described by r = 2; it is described by 0 <= r <= 2. And theta certainly does play a role.

Last edited:
Probably a semantics issue, but you shouldn't say theta equals anything. Theta has a range, just like Mark44 notes that r has a range, and is not simply one value.

Although, r goes from 0 to 2, not 0 to 4.

yes it is a semantic issue.
what i have written on paper is different to my typing. just a bad habit to always press equals on a computer.
what is my next step?

i think once i get the limits sorted i will be fine

the limits are 0<r<2
0<=theta<=pi/2

can the y factor be expressed as r sin theta?

the_godfather said:
yes it is a semantic issue.
what i have written on paper is different to my typing. just a bad habit to always press equals on a computer.
what is my next step?

i think once i get the limits sorted i will be fine

the limits are 0<r<2
0<=theta<=pi/2
This is only 1/4 of the way around.
the_godfather said:
can the y factor be expressed as r sin theta?
Yes, but what about the rest of the integrand, and what does dx dy become?

x and y are both > or = 0. which to me implies only a quarter way around

dx and dy will become dr and d(theta)

[tex]\int[/tex] theta 0 [tex]\int[/tex]2 0 2r sin theta r dr d(theta)

You're right that theta ranges between 0 and pi/2. You put your inequalities x>=0 and y>=0 in the relevant equations rather than in the problem statement, and I missed them.

Your integrand should not have 2r; the original integrand of y*sqrt(x^2 + y^2) becomes r*rsin(theta) = r^2*sin(theta). There is also the factor of r from r dr d(theta), which you correctly show.

Your iterated integral should look like this:
[tex]\int_{\theta = 0}^{\pi/2}~\int_{r = 0}^2 r^3~sin(\theta)~dr~d\theta[/tex]

so i should get an answer of 4?

the_godfather said:
so i should get an answer of 4?
Yep.

FAQ: Integrating a 2-D Function: x^2+y^2 \leq 4

1. What is a 2-D function?

A 2-D function is a mathematical function that takes in two input variables and outputs a single value. In other words, it maps points from a two-dimensional coordinate system to a single numerical value.

2. What does x^2+y^2 ≤ 4 mean?

This inequality represents a circular region in the 2-D coordinate plane with a radius of 2 units. All points within or on the boundary of this circle satisfy the equation x^2+y^2 = 4.

3. How do you integrate a 2-D function?

To integrate a 2-D function, you need to use a double integral. This involves integrating the function with respect to one variable while holding the other variable constant, and then integrating the resulting expression with respect to the other variable. The result is a single numerical value.

4. What is the purpose of integrating a 2-D function?

Integrating a 2-D function allows us to calculate the total value within a given area on the 2-D plane. This can be useful in various applications, such as finding the area under a curve or calculating the average value of a function over a specific region.

5. How is integrating a 2-D function related to calculus?

Integrating a 2-D function is a fundamental concept in calculus, specifically in the branch of multivariable calculus. It involves using techniques such as double integrals and polar coordinates to find the area, volume, or average value of a function over a given region in the 2-D plane.