Double Integrals Limits of Integration

In summary, when integrating from limits that are symmetric about the origin, you can double the integral and change the limits to 0 and the original limit. This can be done if and only if the integrand is an even function. For double integration over a rectangular region, this rule can be applied separately to each integral. If the function is odd or even in each variable, then the integral can be simplified or evaluated to zero. However, the majority of functions in two variables are neither odd nor even.
Charanjit
I am just starting to do double integrals and came acorss an issue. I remembered from single integrals when we integrate from limits for say -1 to 1, we can double it and change integration limits to 0 to 1. Now, when is this the case? Basically, when can we not do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Charanjit said:
I am just starting to do double integrals and came acorss an issue. I remembered from single integrals when we integrate from limits for say -1 to 1, we can double it and change integration limits to 0 to 1. Now, when is this the case? Basically, when can we not do this?
This can be done in general if and only if integrand is even and you are integrating over a symmetric interval about the origin. That is, if [itex]f(x) = f(-x)[/itex] then
[tex]\int_{-a}^a f(x) \text{d}x = 2\int_0^a f(x) \text{d}x\;.[/tex]
For double integration over a rectangular region, you can simply applied the above rule separately to each integral. If [itex]f(x,y) = f(x,-y)[/itex], then
[tex]\int_{-a}^a \int_{-b}^b f(x,y) \text{d}y \text{d}x = 2\int_{-a}^a\int_0^b f(x,y) \text{d}y \text{d}x\;,[/tex]
and if [itex]f(x,y) = f(-x,-y)[/itex]
[tex]\int_{-a}^a \int_{-b}^b f(x,y) \text{d}y \text{d}x = 4\int_0^a\int_0^b f(x,y) \text{d}y \text{d}x\;.[/tex]

If you are integrating over a non-rectangular region in Cartesian coordinates, i.e. if the inner limits depend on the outer variable of integration, then you need to be a little more careful, but you can apply the rule.

Hmm.. I see. Thanks alot. With the functions that arise in double integrals, how to know if the function is even?

It does not need to be symmetrical around origo does it?

Basically if you have a function such that f(b-x)=f(b+x) then the function is symmetrical around b. And if the integration limits are b+a and b-a, you can use symmetry.

Just and example from the top of my head

[tex] \int_{0}^{2} \sqrt{(x-1)^2-1} dx \, = \, 2\int_{0}^{1} \sqrt{(x-1)^2-1} dx [/tex]

Also if a function is "odd" around a point b. Then the integral evaluates to zero. If it is not specified to find the area. If you are supposed to find the area, just halve one of the integration limits.

[tex] \Large \int_{{\frac{3\pi}{4}}}^{\frac{5\pi}{4}} \tan(x) dx [/tex]

This is an odd function symmetrical around a point b, which makes the integral zero. Same with functions of two variables.

To briefely sum it up

[tex]\int_{a}^{b} f(x) dx [/tex]

Is odd around [itex]c[/itex] if [itex]f(\frac{b+a}{2}-x) \, = \, -f(x) [/itex]
Is even around [itex]c[/itex] if [itex]f(\frac{b+a}{2}-x) \, = \, f(x) [/itex]
And the point it is symmetrical around is [itex]c=f(\frac{b+a}{2})[/itex]

In general, we do not talk about functions that are "odd" or "even" in two variables. Rather we talk about a function being "odd" or "even" in each variable.

f(x,y)= x^3y^3 is odd in both variables.
g(x,y)= x^2y^3 is even in x, odd in y.
h(x,y)= x^3y^2 is odd in x, even in y.
j(x,y)= x^2y^2 is even in both variables.

Of course, as is the case in one variable, the great majority of functions in two variables are neither even nor odd.

k(x,y)= x^2y^2+ x^3y^3 is neither even nor odd in either variable.

1. What is the concept of double integrals?

Double integrals are a mathematical concept used to find the volume or area under a two-dimensional surface. It involves evaluating the integral of a function over a specific region in the x-y plane.

2. What are the limits of integration in a double integral?

The limits of integration in a double integral are the boundaries of the region over which the integral is being evaluated. These limits can be expressed as a range of values for both the x and y variables.

3. How do we determine the order of integration in a double integral?

The order of integration in a double integral can be determined by considering the shape of the region and the function being integrated. In general, it is easier to integrate first with respect to the variable that has the simpler limits of integration.

4. What is the purpose of using double integrals over single integrals?

Double integrals allow us to calculate the volume or area of more complex shapes that cannot be easily evaluated using a single integral. It also allows for the evaluation of functions over a specific region rather than the entire domain.

5. What are some real-world applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to calculate the mass of an object with varying density, determine the center of mass of an irregularly shaped object, or find the average value of a function over a specific area.