Double Integrals: Sketch Region, Reverse Order & Evaluate

• Thread starter math_04
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary: The correct limits should be 0<=y<=x^(1/2).In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an integral and the process of sketching the region of integration, expressing the integral in reverse order, and evaluating it in surd form. The conversation also mentions different methods for determining the limits of integration and sharing the solution through a picture. Ultimately, it is determined that the limits for y should be 0<=y<=x^(1/2) instead of \sqrt{x} <= y <= 1.
math_04

Homework Statement

Consider the integral shown in the attached diagram. Sketch the region of integration, express the integral with the reverse order of integration and evaluate it leaving your answer in surd form.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn the region in the diagram and hope its correct.

I am getting the limits for the reversed order as 0<=x<=1 and for y i am not sure. I tried but i ended up with the same thing square root of x <= y <= 1. That is definitely not right! Could anyone please help me out?

The way I do it is for x limits for the reversed order, I draw a horizontal line passing through the sketched region and for the y limits, it is a vertical line passing through the sketched region. Is there a more effective way cause i keep getting stuck with this method?

Thanks heaps.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Double Integral-1.JPG
    Double Integral-1.JPG
    6.7 KB · Views: 383
Physics news on Phys.org
Link your picture elsewhere b/c who knows how long it will take for your attachment to be approved.

upload the picture in imageshack.us mate
it gives a direct link to the picture. good site for hosting pics.

Or, just have a modicum of patience. Sheesh!

there it is lol. finally got approved

math_04 said:
there it is lol. finally got approved
Yes, that 72 minute wait was soooo oppressive. :tongue:

any answer to my question lol?

The region with y from [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] to 1 is above the parabola. In youur picture you have shaded the area below the parabola.

ohhh yeaaa haha cheers for that. but are the limits right?

He just answered your question. The limits for y is incorrect because they describe the region above the y=x^(1/2) curve.

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral that involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional region. It is represented by two integral signs and is used to find the volume, area, or other quantities related to a two-dimensional shape or region.

2. How do you sketch the region for a double integral?

The region for a double integral is typically sketched on a coordinate plane. The boundaries of the region are represented by curves or lines, and the region is usually shaded to indicate the area being integrated over. It is important to understand the equations and limits of the region in order to accurately sketch it.

3. What is the reverse order of a double integral?

The reverse order of a double integral involves changing the order of integration. This means that the inner integral becomes the outer integral and vice versa. This can be helpful in some cases when evaluating a double integral, as it may simplify the integration process.

4. How do you evaluate a double integral?

To evaluate a double integral, you must first set up the integral with the appropriate limits and integrand. Then, you can use various techniques such as Fubini's theorem or iterated integration to solve the integral. It is important to carefully consider the order of integration and make any necessary changes before evaluating.

5. What are some real-world applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have various real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of a three-dimensional object or finding the mass of a two-dimensional shape with varying density. They are also used in physics and engineering to determine quantities such as electric and magnetic fields or fluid flow. In economics, double integrals can be used to find the total value of a production function.