Double integrals using polar co-ordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of converting a function from rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates and using it to find the volume of a solid. The individual encountered some confusion with the coordinates and the shape of the graph, leading to uncertainty about the correct formula for the line of intersection.
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

fp7dlf.jpg

Step 1) I put the following into polar coordinates
√(16-x2-y2)=√16-r2

Where r≤4

step 2 I solved for y in the original problem which is in the link

y≤√(4-x2)

step 3. I graphed the above function

step 4. I put the above function in polar coordinates getting

r≤2

So I already had an idea that the graph would be from

0≤r≤2 dr However my d(theta) was incorrect I got that it would be 0≤theta≤∏ as my interpretation of the graph shows. The answer however shows 0≤theta≤2∏

Which does't make much sense to me. Where did I got wrong?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
what is the actual question? :confused:

Upper left hand corner of the graph, the problem statement says Use a multiple integral and a convenient coordinate system to find the volume of the solid. I forgot to type it up I apologize.

i still don't get it

x2+ y2 ≤ 4 isn't a circle, it's a solid cylinder

anyway, show us how you found the line of interection​

Honestly I don't know I solved as if it was a circle.

1. What is the purpose of using polar coordinates in double integrals?

Polar coordinates are useful in solving double integrals because they simplify the integration process by converting the rectangular coordinates into a polar form. This can make the integrals easier to evaluate and can also provide insight into the symmetry and geometry of the region being integrated.

2. How do you convert a double integral from rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert a double integral from rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates, we use the following equations:
x = r cosθ
y = r sinθ
dx dy = r dr dθ
We substitute these equations into the original integral and change the limits of integration to correspond with the polar coordinates.

3. What are the key differences between double integrals in rectangular coordinates and polar coordinates?

The main difference between double integrals in rectangular coordinates and polar coordinates is the shape of the region being integrated. Rectangular coordinates are used for rectangular or square regions, while polar coordinates are used for circular or radial regions. Additionally, the limits of integration and the integrand may be different in polar coordinates due to the change in variables.

4. How do you determine the limits of integration for a double integral using polar coordinates?

The limits of integration for a double integral using polar coordinates are determined by the shape of the region being integrated. For circular regions, the limits for r would be from the inner radius to the outer radius, and the limits for θ would be from 0 to 2π. For other regions, the limits may need to be broken up into multiple integrals to cover the entire area.

5. What are some real-world applications of double integrals in polar coordinates?

Double integrals in polar coordinates have many real-world applications, such as calculating the area of a sector or segment of a circle, finding the center of mass of a circular object, or determining the volume of a cylindrical or spherical object. They are also commonly used in physics and engineering for calculating electric and gravitational fields.