Double Power Supplies: Battery or DC Power Supply?

• Thread starter Pagedown
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the current is drained from the battery if the battery is connected to a DC power supply and the voltage is the same as the voltage of the power supply. If the battery is connected to a relay or switch, the current can be switched between the battery and the power supply.
Pagedown
If I had a battery as backup, and a DC power supply connected to a load.

And say the battery is 4.5V and the DC power supply is 5V, is the current now drained from the battery or the power supply?

I am doing a project where it needs battery for portability sometimes but can have the power supply indoors.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends how you have them connected. Because you don't mention otherwise, perhaps you intend us to picture the battery being simply connected directly across the terminals of the power supply? That is rarely a suitable arrangement. It is not a good way to keep the battery charged (assuming it's rechargeable), because almost never will the voltage needed to charge the battery be precisely that also needed by your load. Additionally, the battery will not have a long life by constantly being charged like that. The normal arrangement is for the power supply to power the load, unless the voltage falls to a low value, in which case power is drawn from the back-up battery.

so i need a relay or switch in between to switch between the supplies?

A switch is simplest, and foolproof, and you can see which is in use. If the load is low powered, you might be able to arrange a jack, so that when you plug in the power supply plug it mechanically disconnects the battery.

Alternatively, a simple diode isolator may suffice. One disadvantage is you lose 0.7 volts from both your PS and battery; there are other drawbacks, too. Switching is automatic: just make sure the PSU delivers at least 1 volt more than the battery, so the PSU will be predominate.

Code:
PSU +-------Diode --------,------------Load
                          |
                          |
Batt +------Diode --------'

Thanks, Nas. The information u provided is very useful. I may go for a dc relay, if psu connected, it disconnects the batt.

1. What are the advantages of using a double power supply?

The main advantage of using a double power supply is redundancy. If one power supply fails, the other can provide backup power, ensuring that the device or system remains functional. Additionally, using a double power supply can increase the overall power capacity and efficiency of a device.

2. What is the difference between a battery and a DC power supply?

A battery is a portable source of electrical energy that converts chemical energy into electrical energy, while a DC power supply is a device that converts AC power from an outlet into DC power. Batteries are typically used for small, portable devices, while DC power supplies are used for larger devices or systems that require a constant supply of power.

3. Can both a battery and DC power supply be used simultaneously in a device?

Yes, it is possible to use both a battery and DC power supply simultaneously in a device. This can provide a backup power source in case one of the power supplies fails, or it can increase the overall power capacity of the device.

4. How do I choose between using a battery or DC power supply for my device?

The choice between using a battery or DC power supply depends on the specific needs and requirements of the device. If portability and backup power are important, a battery may be the best option. If the device requires a constant and reliable power source, a DC power supply may be more suitable.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using a double power supply?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when using a double power supply, especially when connecting or disconnecting power sources. It is also important to use the correct type and voltage of power supply for the device to avoid damaging it or causing harm to oneself.