What Triggers the Electron's Change in the Double Slit Experiment?

In summary, the electron exhibits wave-like properties until it is observed, at which point it becomes a particle.
mizpah12
Hi! :smile:
I’m new here and enjoying it very much.
In the double slit experiment; what causes the fired electron to change from being in a wave configuration, back to a particle configuration when it strikes the target?
Mizpah

Physics news on Phys.org
mizpah12 said:
Hi! :smile:
I’m new here and enjoying it very much.
In the double slit experiment; what causes the fired electron to change from being in a wave configuration, back to a particle configuration when it strikes the target?
Mizpah

The electron is neither in a particle state, nor a wave configuration, until it is observed. If you try to observe the electron while it is in flight:

1) Trying to observe the electron as a particle will measure that the electron is a particle, hence no interference pattern.
2) Trying to observe the electron as a wave will measure that the electron is a wave, hence we get an interference pattern.

Don't you just :!) how much confusion this simple experiment can generate?

-Dan

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am presuming that we are observing the electron at one of the slits.

I think he meant when the elctron strikes the detector. Let's assume that's the case.

This a crazy thing man: the wavefunction never collapses if you didn't ascertain which slit the particle went through! The electron exhibits particle behaviour, having struck at a point, and yet over many electron observations you can only explain *where* the electron hit if that same electron *upon striking the the target* is also exhibiting wavelike properties!

So the answer to your question is that the change in "configuration" never happens unless you ascertain which slit the electron must have gone through.

I think my brain has started leaking out of my ears. The quantum world, we don't really understand it but we'll be damned if we'll admit it :wink:

Schrodinger's Dog said:
I think my brain has started leaking out of my ears. The quantum world, we don't really understand it but we'll be damned if we'll admit it :wink:

On the contrary, the Copenhagen interpretation is based precisely on this admission.

Sorry about extending a profitless thread, Zapper, but I couldn't resist.:redface:

1. What is the purpose of the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic physics experiment that aims to demonstrate the wave-particle duality of light. It shows that light can behave as both a wave and a particle, depending on how it is observed.

2. How does the double slit experiment work?

In this experiment, a beam of light is directed towards a barrier with two narrow slits. The light passing through the slits diffracts and creates an interference pattern on a screen placed behind the barrier. This pattern shows the wave-like behavior of light.

3. What is the role of the target in the double slit experiment?

The target, also known as the screen, is placed behind the barrier with the two slits. It captures the interference pattern created by the diffracted light and allows us to observe the wave-like behavior of light.

4. How does the double slit experiment support the wave-particle duality theory?

The interference pattern created by the diffracted light in the double slit experiment is only possible if light behaves as a wave. However, when the experiment is observed more closely, the light behaves like a particle and forms distinct bands on the target. This supports the theory that light has both wave and particle properties.

5. What are the real-world applications of the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment has helped scientists understand the fundamental nature of light and has led to advancements in fields such as optics, quantum mechanics, and information technology. It has also been used to study the behavior of other particles, such as electrons, and has contributed to the development of technologies such as electron microscopes and diffraction gratings.