Double Slit Experiment, Testing the Test

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of photons in the Double Slit Experiment and the idea of using detectors to determine their behavior before they reach the slits. It is suggested that the photons that do not pass through the slits are either absorbed or reflected by the material of the obstacle and that increasing the intensity of light can cause the obstacle to melt or burn. The conversation also touches upon the single-photon concept and its implications on the experiment. It is concluded that further calculations would be needed to determine the effect of pre-selection on the results.
Wade888
Something I've wondered about the Double Slit Experiment is what happens to photons which fail to pass through either slit, and what is their behavior?

Why not put some detectors on the source side of the slits during a double slit experiment to try to determine whether the photons are behaving like a particle or wave even before they reach the slits? For example, will the photon be found to be "interfering with itself" or alternating particle/wave properties even before it reaches the slits?

To test this, I was thinking of putting detectors between the two slits, above, below, and on either side of them in order to find out if the photons, or anything else, hits the source side of the obstacle during the experiment.

Physics news on Phys.org
The photons which do not pass the slits are absorbed by the slit plate, the same as if there were no slits in the plate.
Photons behave partly as particle and partly as wave. The wave determines the probability of absorption, and before the slit the wave is just spherical

The photons that don't go through the slits are either absorbed or reflected by the material that the obstacle is made of. Increase the intensity of the incoming light enough, and I guarantee that you will melt or burn up the obstacle, regardless of whether it has slits cut in it or not.

I thought as much, however it is often claimed that the experiments are done by releasing one photon at a time. Am I to understand that these photons miss as well?

Why would they miss if they are all aimed in the same direction?

Wade888 said:
I thought as much, however it is often claimed that the experiments are done by releasing one photon at a time. Am I to understand that these photons miss as well?

You are missing the point. The single-photon idea means that at any given time, only one photon is inside or within the system. It has nothing to do with what was missed and what wasn't. The photon that didn't make it is not part of the experiment. All we care about is that the photon that made it in, there aren't any other at the same time to trigger the detector.

Zz.

Wade888 said:

I think that is a good point. It would suggest a sort of pre-selection. How do we calculate the effect of that on the results?

What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the interference pattern that is created on a screen behind the slits.

Why is the double slit experiment important?

The double slit experiment is important because it helps us understand the fundamental nature of light and matter. It shows that light, which was previously thought to only behave as a wave, can also behave as a particle. This has major implications for our understanding of quantum mechanics and the nature of reality.

What is the purpose of "testing the test" in the double slit experiment?

In the double slit experiment, "testing the test" refers to the process of verifying that the interference pattern observed on the screen is indeed caused by the wave-like behavior of light and not some other factor. This is done by conducting the experiment under different conditions and checking if the interference pattern remains consistent.

What are some real-world applications of the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment has many real-world applications, such as in the development of electronic devices like transistors and computer chips. It also helps us understand the behavior of electrons in atoms and has implications for quantum cryptography and communication technology.

What are some common misconceptions about the double slit experiment?

One common misconception about the double slit experiment is that it only applies to light. In reality, it applies to all particles, including electrons and other subatomic particles. Another misconception is that the interference pattern requires two slits, when in fact, it can also be observed with a single slit. Additionally, some people mistakenly think that the experiment proves the existence of parallel universes, when in fact, it simply shows the probabilistic nature of quantum particles.