Double Slit Experiment: The Observer's Eye Affecting Matter

In summary, the conversation discusses a website that presents a theory about the double-slit experiment, in which matter behaves like a wave when not observed but acts like a solid when observed. The speaker suggests that the observer's eye may affect the experiment, due to its size and refractive properties. They then provide a link to a simplified explanation and a video for further understanding.
MrFix
A friend of mine pointed out this website to me.

http://www.doubleslitexperiment.com/

The site posts an interesting theory; I'll take a quote from the sites document:
"For some unknown reason that haunts scientists, everything we perceive as having mass is just a wave of information (or possibilities) until we observe it in some way."

So I dug a little deeper, but not too deep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment

The experiment states that the matter acts like a solid when observed and a wave when not observed.

This led me to think that the observer’s eye is affecting the experiment.
My rough scale comparison would be someone’s eye (roughly the size of the Earth) pointed at a photon (the size of a basketball).
Taken into account the refractive backing of the cornea, it would act as a weak convex mirror. This could reflect the light observed into an inverted phase and cancel the wave pattern of the matter. This is just a theory. Let me know what you think about this.

Physics news on Phys.org
See here for an easy explanation without the mumbo-jumbo:

http://soi.blogspot.com/2011/02/two-slit-experiment.html

This video might help you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Double Slit Experiment: The Observer's Eye Affecting Matter

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves a light source being shone through two parallel slits and observed on a screen. The result is an interference pattern, which suggests that light behaves as both a wave and a particle.

2. How does the observer's eye affect the outcome of the experiment?

The presence of an observer, whether human or not, can affect the outcome of the double slit experiment. This is because the act of observing or measuring the experiment interferes with the behavior of the particles in the experiment, causing them to behave more like particles than waves.

3. What is the significance of the observer's eye affecting matter?

The double slit experiment and the concept of the observer's eye affecting matter has significant implications in the field of quantum mechanics. It challenges the traditional understanding of cause and effect and raises questions about the role of consciousness in the physical world.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the outcome of the experiment?

Aside from the presence of an observer, other factors such as the distance between the slits, the wavelength of the light, and the type of material used can also affect the outcome of the double slit experiment. These factors can be controlled and manipulated to produce different results.

5. How is the double slit experiment relevant in modern science?

The double slit experiment continues to be relevant in modern science as it challenges our understanding of the fundamental nature of reality. It also has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography, where the behavior of particles at the quantum level can be harnessed for technological advancements.