Double Slit Experiment: Q&A on Photon Detection

In summary, the person is asking about the double slit experiment, specifically about the number of photons that would be detected when both slits are open. They have conducted a similar experiment with only one slit open, and are wondering if the interference pattern observed is a property of space between the slits and detector or a property of the particles themselves. Another person responds that the number of photons detected would be N1+N2, but the interference pattern is dependent on the distribution of photons caught by each detector, not the total number caught by all detectors.
mitarbre
I have a simple question about the double slit experiment for which I couldn't find an answer elsewhere.

Lets say that I shoot one million photons from the source while keeping only the first slit open and that I detect N1 photons on the screen behind the slits. If I now shoot one million photons while keeping only the second slit open I detect N2 photons (N1 and N2 should be pretty close). If I now open both slits and I shoot one million photons how many photons should I detect? N1+N2 or considerably less?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? Is my question stupid or no one knows the answer?

It should be n1 + n2. Why do you think it should be less.

I wanted to confirm what I thought and if such is the case than it looks to me that the interference pattern is a property of space between slits and the detector and not a property of the particle. In other words, making slits alters the space in such a way that the detected position of the particle is biased. Somewhat like a wavy bowling lane. Does it make any sense?

No, in both cases you detect N1+N2, but that is if you have one HUGE detector that will grab anything past the slits, or alternatively a large number of detectors that cover all space past the slits. The interference pattern has to do with the distribution of photons caught by each such detector, depending on its position, not the total number of photons caught by all detectors

Related to Double Slit Experiment: Q&A on Photon Detection

1. What is the Double Slit Experiment?

The Double Slit Experiment is a famous experiment in quantum mechanics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting pattern of light on a screen.

2. How does the Double Slit Experiment demonstrate wave-particle duality?

The experiment shows that light behaves both as a wave and a particle. When the light passes through the two slits, it creates an interference pattern on the screen, similar to how waves interact with each other. However, when individual photons are detected, they behave like particles, hitting the screen in specific locations.

3. What is the significance of the Double Slit Experiment?

The Double Slit Experiment is significant because it challenges our understanding of the nature of light and matter. It shows that particles can exhibit wave-like behavior and vice versa, which goes against classical physics. This experiment also led to the development of quantum mechanics, which has revolutionized our understanding of the universe.

4. How is the Double Slit Experiment used in real-world applications?

The principles of the Double Slit Experiment are applied in various technologies, such as computer screens, fiber optics, and lasers. It is also used in research fields, like quantum computing and cryptography, to harness the unique properties of particles at the quantum level.

5. Are there any variations of the Double Slit Experiment?

Yes, there are variations of the Double Slit Experiment that involve using different types of particles, such as electrons, instead of photons. These experiments show similar results, further reinforcing the wave-particle duality of matter. There are also modified versions of the experiment that involve adding detectors at the slits to observe which path the particles take, leading to different outcomes.