Can Air Affect a Double Slit Experiment?

In summary, the problem is to find the index of refraction of air at 1 atm by measuring the number of maxima that occur at a fixed spot on a screen as air is removed from one of the boxes. The solution is found by adding a converging lens and modifying the delta distance between the top and bottom slits.
unscientific

Homework Statement

2a7sw88.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As air is gradually removed from one box, the fringe pattern shifts towards that box. Hence total number of maximas that pass through the central is calculated.

vdcn5l.png

However, according to http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tables/indrf.html the index of refraction of air is 1.0003

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like a difficult problem since the optical path for the box with air varies with the number of the maximum. For the 16th maximum there should be no effect of the boxes (delta optical path = 0, angle close to 90 deg.) wheras for the first few the optical path thru the air-filled box varies appreciably from maximum to maximum. This would seem to hold even if d >> s, l.

rude man said:
This looks like a difficult problem since the optical path for the box with air varies with the number of the maximum. For the 16th maximum there should be no effect of the boxes (delta optical path = 0, angle close to 90 deg.) wheras for the first few the optical path thru the air-filled box varies appreciably from maximum to maximum. This would seem to hold even if d >> s, l.

Hmmm, any ideas on how to solve this then?

I think your analysis that leads to 1.0008 is correct, even though the answer does not correspond to the known value of the index of refraction of air at 1 atm.

I'm not following rude man's comments. The problem states that we are only looking at one spot on the screen (z = 0) and measuring the number of maxima that occur at that fixed spot as air is removed from one of the boxes.

I would assume the addition of a converging lens as is done in deriving the baic min-max pattern (fringes). Then, the delta distance between the top & bottom slits, which is basically d sin θ, has to be modified (increased) by the increase in optical path length thru the bottom box. This is primarily an analytic geometry problem, since each bottom ray forming another max. will pass thru different sections of the box. If that delta distance were the same for all rays forming maxima then it would be easy; but that's not the case.

So instead of winding up with d sin θ = mλ you will have d sin θ + Δop = mλ where Δop = delta optical path for the lower rays & will be different for each ray forming a max.

Δop = x(n-1.00000) and x is the physical path length of a bottom ray inside the lower cube. Unfortunately, x = x(θ). For the near-central max, θ ~ 0 and x ~ l, the length of a side of the box. For the outermost maxima, θ ~ +/-90 deg and x ~ 0.

Like I said - difficult analyt geometry problem.

TSny said:
I think your analysis that leads to 1.0008 is correct, even though the answer does not correspond to the known value of the index of refraction of air at 1 atm.

I'm not following rude man's comments. The problem states that we are only looking at one spot on the screen (z = 0) and measuring the number of maxima that occur at that fixed spot as air is removed from one of the boxes.

I agree, I misinterpreted the problem. So it's far easier than I thought. Thanks for cluing me in, T.

EDIT: P.S. I also got 1.0008 = 16λ/l - 1.

PPS Well, maybe the experiment was performed in one of our smoggier areas ... :smile:

Last edited:
rude man said:
PPS Well, maybe the experiment was performed in one of our smoggier areas ... :smile:

:biggrin:

1. What is a double slit with air block?

A double slit with air block is an experiment in which a light source is shone through two parallel slits and a barrier is placed in front of one of the slits, creating two separate paths for the light to travel through. This results in an interference pattern where the waves from the two slits either reinforce or cancel each other out, creating light and dark bands on a screen.

2. How does the air block affect the interference pattern?

The air block, or barrier, placed in front of one of the slits disrupts the waves and causes the interference pattern to change. This is because the waves from the two slits can no longer travel the same distance and therefore, interfere with each other differently.

3. What is the purpose of using an air block in this experiment?

The air block is used to demonstrate the concept of interference and how it can be manipulated by changing the path of the waves. It also allows for the observation of different interference patterns, depending on the placement and size of the barrier.

4. What is the difference between a double slit with and without an air block?

Without an air block, the interference pattern will show alternating light and dark bands, known as a diffraction pattern. With an air block, the interference pattern will be altered, with some areas of the pattern becoming more intense and others becoming less intense.

5. What real-world applications does the double slit with air block have?

The double slit with air block is commonly used in optics and photonics research to study the properties of light and how it behaves. It also has applications in the development of technologies such as holography and diffraction grating, which are used in various imaging and display systems.