Doubt on Ademollo-Gatto theorem proof

In summary, the conversation discusses the Ademollo-Gatto theorem and the proof of [V_-,V_+]=V_3, as well as the matrix element \langle K^0|V_3|K^0\rangle=1. The question is raised about why the matrix element is 1 when it is expected to be 1/2 based on the V-spin of K0. The conversation also touches on the V-spin triplet and doublet and the confusion around which one K0 belongs to.
Einj
I'm studying the semileptonic decay of the kaon and I'm currently reading about the Ademollo-Gatto theorem. The question is probably silly. However, here it is.
The proof starts by just considering that [itex][V_-,V_+]=V_3[/itex], where V is the V-spin. Now, we consider the matrix element [itex]\langle K^0|V_3|K^0\rangle=1[/itex].

I understand that the [itex]|K^0\rangle[/itex] state is an eigenstate of V3 (is the same thing that happens for the usual isospin), but why exactly 1? Consider for example the third component of isospin. As K0 has I3=1/2 I'd expect that matrix element to be 1/2. Why is 1?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually isn't the V-spin of the K0 equal to 1? It belongs to a V-spin triplet along with K0 bar and some linear combination of π0 and η0.

I'm not really sure but I think that that is the U-spin. The V-spin should be the operator that allows the transition from K0 to π- and so the K0 should belong to the doublet (K0-), while the V-spin triplet should be composed by K+, K- and π08. But, again, I'm not really sure.

Whoops, you are correct! :blushing:

Related to Doubt on Ademollo-Gatto theorem proof

1. What is the Ademollo-Gatto theorem?

The Ademollo-Gatto theorem is a fundamental result in quantum field theory that states that the scattering amplitude for a process involving particles with spin and isospin can be written as a sum of products of partial amplitudes, each of which corresponds to the exchange of a single particle.

2. What does the proof of the Ademollo-Gatto theorem involve?

The proof of the Ademollo-Gatto theorem involves the use of Feynman diagrams, which are graphical representations of mathematical expressions that describe the behavior of particles in quantum field theory. It also requires a deep understanding of group theory and the representation theory of Lie groups.

3. What is the significance of the Ademollo-Gatto theorem in physics?

The Ademollo-Gatto theorem is significant because it provides a powerful tool for calculating scattering amplitudes in quantum field theory. It allows for the simplification of complex calculations and provides a deeper understanding of the underlying symmetries and interactions of particles.

4. Has the Ademollo-Gatto theorem been experimentally verified?

Yes, the predictions of the Ademollo-Gatto theorem have been experimentally verified in a number of high-energy physics experiments, including those at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. Its success in predicting the behavior of particles has solidified its place as a cornerstone of modern theoretical physics.

5. Are there any limitations to the Ademollo-Gatto theorem?

While the Ademollo-Gatto theorem has proven to be a powerful tool in calculating scattering amplitudes, it does have its limitations. It assumes that particles are point-like and do not have any internal structure or substructure. This may not hold true in all physical scenarios, and thus the theorem may not always accurately predict the behavior of particles.