1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doubt with Ampere and Biot-Savart

1. Aug 30, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I think I'm terribly wrong by supossing Ampère-Maxwell and Biot-Savart are referred to the same concept of magnetic field B. For example, for calculating B near an infinite line, I used both, as I understood them, obtaining different expressions (see image). What is that that I don't get?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2012 #2
    You didn't do the Biot-Savart integral right. Let the wire go up the z-axis, and the integral is

[tex]B(\rho) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \frac{I e_z \; dz' \times (\rho e_\rho - z' e_z)}{(\rho^2 + {z'}^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

You treated the denominator like it doesn't depend on [itex]z'[/itex], but it does. I write it [itex]z'[/itex] to emphasize that it is the integration variable (not the position we want to find the magnetic field at). Consult a table of integrals to easily find the antiderivative.

In general, for some current density [itex]j[/itex], the Biot-Savart Law is

[tex]B(r) = \int_{V'} \mu_0 j(r') \; dV' \times \frac{r - r'}{4 \pi |r - r'|^3}[/tex]

Actual line currents (not densities) just reduce this integral from a volume to a line. Compare with the electric field from some charge density:

[tex]E(r) = \int_{V'} \frac{\rho(r')}{\epsilon_0} \; dV' \frac{r - r'}{4 \pi |r - r'|^3}[/tex]

for vectors [itex]r, r'[/itex]. You can see these are both really the "same" law. The function [itex](r-r')/4\pi|r-r'|^3[/itex] has special significance in 3D space. Wiki "Green's functions" if you're interested in learning about it.

4. Aug 30, 2012 #3
    Thank you very much, that was really helpful, I appreciate it!

Carlos

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook