Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dow breaks 14000

1. Feb 1, 2013 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Dow broke the 14000 mark today for the first time since 2007. The all-time high was I think 14,164, so we are very close to seeing new highs for the first time since the economy crashed.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2013 #2
    Very good sign, but I have a hard time trusting anything. What happens when interest rates begin to rise and people start taking money out of the market? Will it have stabilized by then?

4. Feb 1, 2013 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As I understand this, when the market crashed, a great deal of wealth turned to vapor. So to me the most important thing is that a tremendous amount of new wealth has been created. Eventually this wealth must manifest throughout the rest of the economy.

If people are taking new wealth from the market and distributing that elsewhere, that's a good thing. Right?

5. Feb 1, 2013 #4
    I wonder if the people who are making the new wealth were the people who lost it. In some cases maybe, in most I bet not, and that is the problem.

6. Feb 1, 2013 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most people with mutual funds should be benefitting. That includes a good pecentage of retirement plans like the one we have.

7. Feb 1, 2013 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

[response to Greg] Nah, I bet most were the same people and I'd go further to re-characterize the issue: I bet most of the excessive gains and losses were never realized anyway.

8. Feb 1, 2013 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Funny how when the market crashed, the first thing people wanted to do is to pull out their money. But as you say, most people probably just sat it out and have now recaptured the previous losses.

It should be noted that the S&P is following suit with the Dow. Mutual funds are often invested in the S&P.

9. Feb 1, 2013 #8

jtbell

Of course, 14000 isn't worth as much as it was in 2007. Applying the Consumer Price Index for December 2007 and December 2012, I get 14000 * 229.594 / 207.342 = 15502. So we still have a way to go before we really catch up.

I have to admit last month's gain does look good in my retirement accumulation, on top of the big gain we had last year.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  10. Feb 1, 2013 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Picky picky, :biggrin: Of course it isn't necessarily reasonable to take the all-time high as representitive of the average value at the time the crash began. That could have been a transient spike even in a good economy. :tongue:

A good bit better than the low of ~ 6500 right after Obama took office, in either case.

11. Feb 1, 2013 #10
    This is a bad sign. Historically, stocks have tended to go down after reaching a high.

12. Feb 1, 2013 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No surprise to me - my 401k has been going gangbusters for several years now.

Go, economy, go!

13. Feb 2, 2013 #12

mheslep

Gold Member

Yes, and at which point the real return will be flat on money invested in 2007 at the peak - flat over five years, so far.

14. Feb 2, 2013 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But over doubled in the last four years - since April of 2009.

15. Feb 4, 2013 #14

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks like it broke 14000 again today, in the other direction. Now we can apply Rolle's theorem.

16. Feb 4, 2013 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Holy cow, Jimmy was right :eek:!!!

17. Feb 4, 2013 #16

jtbell

They go uppity up up, they come downditty down down...

18. Feb 5, 2013 #17

jtbell

...and they go uppity up up again. The Dow edged over 14000 a couple of times today, then ended a bit under, but still 0.7% higher for the day. Bungee jumping, anyone? :wink:

19. Feb 7, 2013 #18

Astronuc

20. Feb 7, 2013 #19
    Jaffe has hit the nail on the head. Caution is advised for investors who are buying or selling while those on the sidelines should consider reallocating in order to generate extra transaction cost benefits. This is no time for optimistic hedging nor for pessimistic backing and filling. In other words, the market is likely to either rise, fall, or remain steady going forward and therefor a balanced approach of buying, selling, and holding is recommended.

21. Feb 7, 2013 #20

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Jimmy, you'd be amazed at how frequently you make my day :smile:.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook