Download free physics resources?

In summary: The website www.cramster.com can be joined for free for any teachers that can prove their certification. (I sent a copy of my school ID) The site is designed for student assistance, but it contains a bunch of physics textbooks and has complete solutions to many of the problems.
mikelepore
I thought the sticky topic "resources for physics teachers" looks like a concise listing for reference, and not a place for asking a bunch of questions, so I thought I should ask my questions in a new topic.

I'm teaching an algebra-based college class in electricity, magnetism, geometric optics and electromagnetic waves.

I would like to find the following items online but so far I haven't found them:

1. A collection of problems, indexed by topic, that have step-by-step solutions given, to consider using as blackboard examples or handouts.

2. Videos, on both lecture topics and visual demonstrations, that I am allowed to download, burn to a DVD, and play in the classroom.

If anyone knows where to find these things, I will appreciate the advice. Thank you.

Science news on Phys.org
mikelepore said:
I thought the sticky topic "resources for physics teachers" looks like a concise listing for reference, and not a place for asking a bunch of questions, so I thought I should ask my questions in a new topic.

I'm teaching an algebra-based college class in electricity, magnetism, geometric optics and electromagnetic waves.

I would like to find the following items online but so far I haven't found them:

1. A collection of problems, indexed by topic, that have step-by-step solutions given, to consider using as blackboard examples or handouts.

2. Videos, on both lecture topics and visual demonstrations, that I am allowed to download, burn to a DVD, and play in the classroom.

If anyone knows where to find these things, I will appreciate the advice. Thank you.

Have you looked at the Hyperphysics resource?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

Also, there are MIT instructional videos that you might be able to use. I think they are referenced here someplace...

berkeman said:
Also, there are MIT instructional videos that you might be able to use. I think they are referenced here someplace...

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/audio-video-courses/#physics"... note the introductory sequence is technically calculus-based, but there is usually also a good bit of algebra-based content in an introductory calculus-based course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info about the MIT videos. Would you happen to know, what is the easiest way to convert the .mp4 format to either a .mpg or a .wmv format? Some freeware that does file conversions?

As for the Hyperphysics recommendations, thanks but I'm really looking for just a database of problems, something similar to the book "5000 Solved Problems in Physics" by Schaums, but in a computer file format, and free for teachers to copy. I thought that some teachers' organization might have produced something like it.

mikelepore said:
As for the Hyperphysics recommendations, thanks but I'm really looking for just a database of problems, something similar to the book "5000 Solved Problems in Physics" by Schaums, but in a computer file format, and free for teachers to copy. I thought that some teachers' organization might have produced something like it.

The website www.cramster.com can be joined for free for any teachers that can prove their certification. (I sent a copy of my school ID) The site is designed for student assistance, but it contains a bunch of physics textbooks and has complete solutions to many of the problems.

Clunky, but it works.

1. What types of resources can I download for free in the field of physics?

There are many types of resources that you can download for free in the field of physics. These include textbooks, lecture notes, simulations, experiments, and even software. These resources can help you learn and understand different concepts and theories in physics.

2. Where can I find free physics resources to download?

There are many websites and online platforms that offer free physics resources for download. Some popular options include OpenStax, Khan Academy, and MIT OpenCourseWare. You can also check with your local library or university for online resources.

3. Are these free physics resources reliable and accurate?

Yes, most free physics resources are created and reviewed by experts in the field. However, it is always important to check the credibility and accuracy of the source before using the information in any academic or professional setting.

4. Can I use these free physics resources for my research or assignments?

Yes, you can use these resources for your research or assignments, but it is important to properly cite the source. These resources can provide valuable information and insights, but it is always important to critically evaluate the information and use it appropriately.

5. Are there any copyright restrictions for using these free physics resources?

In most cases, these free physics resources are available under a Creative Commons license, which allows for educational and non-commercial use. However, it is important to check the specific terms and conditions of each resource to ensure that you are using it within the allowed parameters.