Download free physics resources?

• Thread starter mikelepore
  • Start date
I thought the sticky topic "resources for physics teachers" looks like a concise listing for reference, and not a place for asking a bunch of questions, so I thought I should ask my questions in a new topic.

I'm teaching an algebra-based college class in electricity, magnetism, geometric optics and electromagnetic waves.

I would like to find the following items online but so far I haven't found them:

1. A collection of problems, indexed by topic, that have step-by-step solutions given, to consider using as blackboard examples or handouts.

2. Videos, on both lecture topics and visual demonstrations, that I am allowed to download, burn to a DVD, and play in the classroom.

If anyone knows where to find these things, I will appreciate the advice. Thank you.

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
I thought the sticky topic "resources for physics teachers" looks like a concise listing for reference, and not a place for asking a bunch of questions, so I thought I should ask my questions in a new topic.

I'm teaching an algebra-based college class in electricity, magnetism, geometric optics and electromagnetic waves.

I would like to find the following items online but so far I haven't found them:

1. A collection of problems, indexed by topic, that have step-by-step solutions given, to consider using as blackboard examples or handouts.

2. Videos, on both lecture topics and visual demonstrations, that I am allowed to download, burn to a DVD, and play in the classroom.

If anyone knows where to find these things, I will appreciate the advice. Thank you.
Have you looked at the Hyperphysics resource?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

Also, there are MIT instructional videos that you might be able to use. I think they are referenced here someplace...

Also, there are MIT instructional videos that you might be able to use. I think they are referenced here someplace...
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/audio-video-courses/#physics"... note the introductory sequence is technically calculus-based, but there is usually also a good bit of algebra-based content in an introductory calculus-based course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info about the MIT videos. Would you happen to know, what is the easiest way to convert the .mp4 format to either a .mpg or a .wmv format? Some freeware that does file conversions?

As for the Hyperphysics recommendations, thanks but I'm really looking for just a database of problems, something similar to the book "5000 Solved Problems in Physics" by Schaums, but in a computer file format, and free for teachers to copy. I thought that some teachers' organization might have produced something like it.

As for the Hyperphysics recommendations, thanks but I'm really looking for just a database of problems, something similar to the book "5000 Solved Problems in Physics" by Schaums, but in a computer file format, and free for teachers to copy. I thought that some teachers' organization might have produced something like it.
The website www.cramster.com can be joined for free for any teachers that can prove their certification. (I sent a copy of my school ID) The site is designed for student assistance, but it contains a bunch of physics textbooks and has complete solutions to many of the problems.

Clunky, but it works.