Draw a probability table for throwing two dice

In summary: P(12)and then you must work out the probabilty of the div by 7 for each case and then add them together. In summary, for throwing two dice (one red one blue), the probability that the sum is divisible by seven is 1/6, the probability that the sum has factors whose sum is even is 7/36, and the probability that the sum is a composite number is 21/36. To calculate the total probability, add the probabilities for each individual case.
npellegrino
Draw a table for throwing two dice (one red one blue). Find the probability.

1. That the sum is divisible by seven
2. The sum has factors whose sum is even
3. The sum is a composite number.

My solutions:

1. 1/6
2. 7/36
3. 31/36

Any advice would be great. Thanks in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org

hi npellogrino - do you have a specific question? if you want the thinking checked - how did you get your solutions?

I am questioning my solution for the 2nd problem, wouldn't it be 7/11 since there are only 11 possibile sums (2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11.12) and the factor's sums are only even for (3,5,6,7,10,11,12)?

I attached my work below.

Attachments

• work.jpg
    work.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 441

Also i believe the 3rd problem is 21/36

npellegrino said:
I am questioning my solution for the 2nd problem, wouldn't it be 7/11 since there are only 11 possibile sums (2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11.12) and the factor's sums are only even for (3,5,6,7,10,11,12)?

I attached my work below.

i find the question that a little difficult to follow,but i would interpret it as base prime factors and not include 1...
sum facs fac sum
2 2 2 (even)
3 3 3 (odd)
4 2.2 4 (even)
5 5 5 (odd)
6 3.2 5 (odd)... and so on though it is open to interpretation...

in any case for the total probabilty you must use you matrix to determine occurrence, for above
2 has a 1/36 probabilty
4 has a 3/36 probabilty...

so the total probability will be
P(tot) = P(2) + P(4) +...

Last edited:

1. What is a probability table for throwing two dice?

A probability table for throwing two dice is a chart that shows all the possible combinations of numbers that can be rolled on two dice, along with their associated probabilities. It is used to determine the likelihood of certain outcomes when throwing two dice.

2. How do you read a probability table for throwing two dice?

In a probability table for throwing two dice, the numbers on the top and left side represent the possible outcomes for each die. The numbers inside the table represent the probability of rolling the number on the top row and left column. For example, if the number 2 is on the top row and 3 is on the left column, the corresponding number in the table would show the probability of rolling a 2 and a 3 together.

3. What is the relationship between the numbers in a probability table for throwing two dice?

The numbers in a probability table for throwing two dice are related by the number of possible outcomes. For example, when rolling two dice, there are 36 possible outcomes (6 outcomes for the first die multiplied by 6 outcomes for the second die). Therefore, the sum of all the probabilities in a probability table should add up to 1 or 100%.

4. How can a probability table for throwing two dice be used?

A probability table for throwing two dice can be used to determine the probability of rolling a certain total or combination of numbers. It can also be used to compare the likelihood of different outcomes and make informed decisions based on probability.

5. Can a probability table for throwing two dice be used for other types of dice games?

Yes, a probability table for throwing two dice can be used for any game that involves rolling two dice. It can also be adapted for games with more or less than two dice, by adjusting the number of possible outcomes and probabilities accordingly.