What are the best tools for creating accurate astronomical figures?

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for creating coordinate figures and other graphics related to astronomy. The use of Word and other software programs is mentioned, as well as the possibility of using LaTex for equations. The conversation also mentions programs like Inkscape and Asymptote, which can be used to create high-quality graphics, but may require some learning. The option of hiring someone or contacting the creator of a provided figure is also mentioned. Finally, the use of gnuplot for drawing ellipsis segments is suggested, with the possibility of including symbols using LaTex code. Overall, the conversation highlights the various options available for creating publication-quality figures in the field of physics or astronomy.
solarblast
Every once in awhile, I'd like to draw a coordinate figure or something else related to astronomy. I can make a fair cut at it using Word, but something like the attachment would really be good. That goes for the equations to which I believe were probably done with LaTex. For graphics, photoshop, cad program, ...?

Attachments

• astro_draw.jpg
    astro_draw.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 495
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks nice...this is one of those images that are a lot easier to 'paint' than to actually draw.

For 'painting' it, you may be able to interactively do it with something like Inkscape, which is SVG based.

Then, there is a programming language called Asymptote that I found out about a few weeks ago; it seems very powerful, I am sure you can do whatever you want with it, but you need to learn how to use it...it might be worth your time, if you will find yourself drawing to publication quality.

Thanks. Looks a little daunting. Too bad there isn't something aimed at physics or astronomy. I guess the pros hire someone or their organizations have the talent. I might try to contact the fellow who produced the figure I provided.

I'd use gnuplot, as it is kind of a standard in scientific plotting and you can find many examples for similar graphics on the internet. Set the ellipses in parametric form.
The various segments cann be filled with the filledcurves option. I suppose the symbols can be included as latex code.
Here is an example of how to draw ellipsis segments in gnuplot:
http://www.phyast.pitt.edu/~zov1/gnuplot/html/pie.html

Last edited:

I understand the importance of accurate and visually appealing figures in the field of astronomy. In order to create high-quality astronomical figures, I would recommend using specialized software such as Adobe Photoshop or a CAD program. These tools offer a wide range of features and customization options that can help you create detailed and precise figures. Additionally, using LaTex for equations can ensure that they are properly formatted and easily readable. Overall, using specialized software and tools can greatly enhance the quality of your astronomical figures and help convey your research findings effectively.

What is the purpose of drawing astronomical figures?

The purpose of drawing astronomical figures is to visually represent astronomical objects, phenomena, and concepts in a way that is easy to understand and analyze. It allows scientists to communicate their findings and observations to others, as well as provide a visual aid for further research and study.

What materials are needed for drawing astronomical figures?

The materials needed for drawing astronomical figures depend on the specific medium being used, but generally include pencils, paper, rulers, compasses, protractors, and various drawing instruments such as pens, markers, or digital tools. Other materials such as color pencils, paints, and specialized software may also be used for more detailed and advanced illustrations.

What skills are required for drawing astronomical figures?

Drawing astronomical figures requires a combination of scientific knowledge and artistic skills. It is important to have a good understanding of the subject matter, such as astronomical concepts and objects, as well as the ability to accurately portray them in a visually appealing and technically correct way. Basic drawing skills, such as perspective, shading, and composition, are also essential for creating accurate and effective illustrations.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when drawing astronomical figures?

Some common mistakes to avoid when drawing astronomical figures include incorrect proportions and scales, inaccurate depictions of celestial objects, and unrealistic colors or details. It is important to thoroughly research and understand the subject matter before beginning a drawing, and to constantly refer to reference materials and resources to ensure accuracy.

What are some tips for creating effective astronomical figures?

Some tips for creating effective astronomical figures include using a variety of line weights and shading techniques to add depth and dimension, incorporating accurate labeling and annotations, and utilizing color and composition to enhance visual appeal and convey important information. It is also important to constantly review and revise the drawing to ensure accuracy and clarity.