1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drawing tickets from box - probability

1. Oct 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A box contains 8 tickets. Two are marked 1, two are marked 2, two marked 3, and two marked 4. Tickets are drawn at random from the box without replacement until a number appears that has appeared before. Let X be the number of draws that are made. Make a table to display the probability distribution of X.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Unsure of where to begin.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Probability

Start at the beginning. The probability of stopping at the first draw is 0. The probability of stopping at the second draw is 1/7 (why?). The probability of stopping at the third draw is the probability you haven't already stopped before (6/7) times the probability of picking a duplicate to one of the two cards you are already holding out the six remaining. Etc.

4. Oct 10, 2008 #3

If you have studied in-depth physics and you believe in determinism, then you know that probability is the accuracy of a prediction at random, and not % of what will happen

5. Oct 10, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is that supposed to mean something? This is a math problem.

6. Oct 10, 2008 #5

The probability of stopping at the first draw is 0. (because you have only drawn one ticket). The probability of stopping at the second draw is 1/7 (because out of the 7 remaining cards their is only 1 possibility for a duplicate of the first). The probability of stopping at the third draw is the probability you haven't already stopped before (6/7) (Can you explain the 6/7 to me) times the probability of picking a duplicate to one of the two cards you are already holding out the six remaining.(would this be 2/6)?

So would the probability of stopping at the fourth draw be (5/6)?
    And the probability of picking a duplicate to one of the three cards I already have out of the 5 remaining be (1/5)?

Thanks

7. Oct 10, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To get to the third draw you have to have not stopped before. The probability you haven't stopped yet is 1-1/7=6/7. And yes, the probability you get a duplicate at the third draw is 2/6=1/3. The probability of stopping at the fourth draw is, again, the probability you haven't stopped in the first three, times the probability of getting a match to one of the first three cards out of the remaining five. I think you are getting this.

8. Oct 10, 2008 #7

The probability of stopping at the fourth draw is, again, the probability you haven't stopped in the first three (1-6/7)?, times the probability of getting a match to one of the first three cards out of the remaining five (3/5)?. I'm am a little confused on how to calculate the probability I haven't stopped in the previous draws. Is it always the complement rule of P(not A) = 1-P(A)?

9. Oct 10, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What are you finally getting for the probability of stopping at the third? Sure, the probability of stopping at draw n is 1-(the sum of the probabilities of stopping at the previous draws). All of these probabilities of stopping are mutually exclusive.

10. Oct 10, 2008 #9

The probability of stopping at the third draw is 2/6? So the probability of stopping at the fourth draw is (1-2/6)? So this times the probability of getting a match to one of the first three cards out of the remaining five is (3/5)? But (2/3) * (3/5) is 2/5. But the answer in the back of the books says 12/35.

11. Oct 10, 2008 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. The probability of stopping at the third draw is (6/7)*(1/3). So the probability of making it to a fourth draw is (1-(1/7)-(6/7)*(1/3)) and the probability of getting a match then is 3/5. Multiply those and you'll get 12/35.

12. Oct 10, 2008 #11

Hold on. I think I got it. But how are getting the probability of getting a match to one of three previous cards out of the remaining 5? You have (1/3). I say it is (3/5) because there are three chances of getting a match to anyone of the three cards..

13. Oct 11, 2008 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have a 1/3=2/6 for the third draw probability of matching (as you said). For the fourth draw it's 3/5 (as you said). Now factor in the probability of even making it to a third or fourth draw. It's 1-the probability of quitting earlier.

14. Oct 11, 2008 #13

Oh man!! I feel so silly. I got it now. It's always 1-the probability of quitting earlier. Oh man!!. Thank you for all of your help. :redface:

15. Oct 11, 2008 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I knew you'd get it. You were so close.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?