How Is Drift Calculated in River Boat Problems?

In summary, drift in river boat problems refers to the distance the boat is moved by the river's flow, either with or without the boat's engine being used to counter the drift. It is caused by the difference in velocity between the boat and the river, and can be calculated by multiplying the river's velocity by the time. The term "drift" can also refer to the relative velocity of approach between two points, which is always along the line joining the two points. Even if one point is stationary, there will still be a relative velocity as long as one is moving relative to the other.
gracy
What is drift in river boat problems?Is it velocity of river divided by time taken o reach the point aimed?Or velocity of river-countering velocity of swimmer or boat in the direction of boat velocity divided by time taken o reach the point aimed?In the below video ,

although the accent is really hard to understand I found content quite good.So I was watching this but I encountered this doubt.
While calculating drift at time 17:45 he took velocity as rivers velocity-it's countering velocity multiplied by time
but in other problems such as at time 6:22 in calculation of drift only velocity of river (no countering velocity)multiplied by time is taken .Why?
I think it is just a mistake.That's why I will not be able to show any effort.But if you find that it's correct,just give me a hint so that I can clear my doubt on my own.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi gracy. I won't dare click on a 40 min video, it would consume a sizeable chunk of my tablet's monthly data plan!

I don't like the vector diagram shown as the frontspiece to that video. It flouts the usual convention for labelling in these questions, so in this its author is, IMHO, unforgiveable! It is just going to confuse you, and me, too.

Normally we need memorise and write just one general equation, viz., vb = vb rel w + vw

However, your video has labelled vb rel w as vb so I think you should immediately relabel that to vb rel w and then use the equation I just gave.

As for drift? Well, if the boat's engine were to be switched off so the boat has no velocity relative to the water, then the boat's motion (relative to the land) after that would be its drift. So drift is motion caused by the water's velocity, so it has a speed and a direction identical with that of the water.

This means the total drift will be river velocity times time.

That's how I see it, and I hope your video treats it the same way.

I don't think that term drift is very well defined in boating problems. I would have to watch the video to understand what the author meant. It's too long. Sorry.

I recommend that you make your own diagrams and your own nomenclature, and figure it out for yourself.

Yes, anorlunda you do make a good point. "Drift" is used in two senses. I described one where the boat's engine is used to counter the drift.

The other sense is that drift can be the distance the boat is moved by the river flow even when the boat is using its engine.

I can use the word in both its senses: the experienced ferry captain used his engines to counter the water's drift so that he crossed directly to the opposite wharf with barely a metre drift downstream.

NascentOxygen said:
I can use the word in both its senses: the experienced ferry captain used his engines to counter the water's drift so that he crossed directly to the opposite wharf with barely a metre drift downstream.

Well said. I call it swim like a duck or swim like a dog.

I think it would be very unusual to find that the terms used in a practical subject like marine navigation correspond rigidly to terms used in Physics. If that video seems to depart from what you would expect, talking in strict Physics terms then I think you just need to accept it. As long as you understand the Physics of what's going on and know, in this case, the velocity vector of the river current and the velocity vector os the boat then you can work out the resultant velocity vector. An expression like "counter the ferry drift" is just a description for what a skipper does without formally using vectors. Life's too short to get involved with how the vernacular ties in with formal Scientific theories.

Drift in river boat problems is
Say if there is a boat which has velocity 5m/s with respect to the river. It aims to reach point A, however, because of the river speed it reaches another point B.Then this Distance AB is called 'drift.So it's a distance.
exampleriverlast.png

Relative velocity of approach /SEPARATION
Let's say if there is a point A and point B.My teacher says relative velocity of approach is always along the line joining the A and B.
upload_2015-4-9_11-12-37.png

As 5 cos 30>2 cos 60
it is case of approach
relative velocity of approach would be
4.3-1=3.3 m/s
but if B velocity along the line joining A and B would have been less than that of A,It would have been considered as case of separation.
My question what if B is stationary.My teacher still took their relative velocity of approach
I did not understand why?As B is stationary there should not be any relative velocity.

gracy said:
relative velocity of approach is always along the line joining the A and B
When you are dealing with this sort of problem you need to realize that there are two different sets of vectors at work. There are displacement vectors - which for a boat is its Course Over the Ground (COG) and velocity vectors, of which there are two: Flow vector of the water and velocity of the boat through the water (Speed and Heading). It is easy to confuse the two vectors and, if you draw them on the same diagram, you have to avoid drawing wrong conclusions about 'where' the velocity vector is - it isn't anywhere. In a simple case like this, there is no acceleration so the displacement will lie on a straight line as time progresses.
gracy said:
As B is stationary there should not be any relative velocity
If one is moving relative to the other so there has to be a finite relative velocity. The only case with no relative velocity would be if the boat were heading directly upstream with a velocity relative to the water that is equal to the velocity of the water over the ground (for instance, when the boat is approaching a mooring buoy and comes to a halt just before hooking on).

I don't understand.I just wanted to ask A is moving with velocity 5 m/s with respect to ground.And B is at rest ,what is relative velocity of A with respect to B?I think it will be 5 m/s .

gracy said:
I don't understand.I just wanted to ask A is moving with velocity 5 m/s with respect to ground.And B is at rest ,what is relative velocity of A with respect to B?I think it will be 5 m/s .
It will depend upon the position at the time. If the velocity is along the line of AB then you are right but it could be anything, for different positions and directions.

gracy said:
Sure, in that case the relative velocity of A with respect to B would be 5 m/s. But that's not the same as the velocity of approach, which depends on the direction of that relative velocity.

So If I would say A is moving with velocity 5 m/s with respect to ground along the line joining AB.And B is at rest ,what is velocity approach ,of A with respect to B? it will be 5 m/s ?

gracy said:
So If I would say A is moving with velocity 5 m/s with respect to ground along the line joining AB.And B is at rest ,what is velocity approach ,of A with respect to B? it will be 5 m/s ?
Yes, exactly. And if A were moving perpendicular to the line AB, then the approach velocity (at that instant) would be zero.

Likes gracy
Thanks.

Can you please answer my post #1.

I have explained in my post # 7 what "drift "is in my problem's context.

If two bodies have same velocity i.e same magnitude as well as direction then relative velocity of anyone body with respect to the other will be zero,right?

If I would say A is moving with velocity 5 m/s with respect to ground along the line joining AB.And B is at rest.There is some another point C which has a component of velocity 3 m/s in opposite direction to line AB. ,what is velocity approach of A with respect to B? Will it be 2 m/s?

Last edited:
gracy said:
If two bodies have same velocity i.e same magnitude as well as direction then relative velocity of anyone body with respect to the other will be zero,right?
Yes.

Taking the general equation
va + vb rel a = vb

Re-arranging,
vb rel a = vb - va

= 0 because the difference between identical vectors is zero.

gracy said:
So If I would say A is moving with velocity 5 m/s with respect to ground along the line joining AB.And B is at rest.There is some another point C which has a component of velocity 3 m/s in opposite direction to line AB.
So A, B, and C are in a line. B is at rest with respect to the ground. A moves toward B with a speed of 5 m/s with respect to the ground. C moves away from B with a speed of 3 m/s with respect to the ground. Correct?

gracy said:
what is velocity approach of A with respect to B? Will it be 2 m/s?
I think you mean the approach velocity of A with respect to C, right? Which would be 2 m/s.

Doc Al said:
I think you mean the approach velocity of A with respect to C, right
Right.

NO.Sorry I didn't understand at first glance.I meant approach velocity of A with respect to B.I thought you are talking about my mistake Velocity approach in place of approach velocity.

gracy said:
NO.Sorry I didn't understand at first glance.I meant approach velocity of A with respect to B.
Then why do you mention C and its velocity at all? C is irrelevant to the relative velocity of A and B.

Doc Al said:
C is irrelevant to the relative velocity of A and B.
And what about approach velocity?Is C also irrelevant to the approach velocity of A and B?

gracy said:
And what about approach velocity?
C has nothing to do with the approach velocity of A and B. Why would you think it does?

Doc Al said:
Why would you think it does?
Because my instructor said so.

gracy said:
Because my instructor said so.
That's a bit hard to believe. :cool:

Could it be that you misremember what he said?

For example: You drive your car at 60 mph toward a tree. What's your approach velocity with respect to the tree? Can you answer that? Of course, you can. Notice that I didn't mention anyone or anything else. The fact that something else might be moving in some direction at some speed has no bearing on how fast you are approaching that tree.

Doc Al said:
That's a bit hard to believe. :cool:
Well.I can explain you what my instructor said.You can point out if you find any mistake in my interpretation..
It was river swimmer problem.
A man and river are moving with same velocity u..A person is at point B initially.His velocity with respect to river is always towards point A.River has velocity in horizontal direction.So that person's path is shown as BC.At one instant D I have shown person's velocity withg respect to river as u and component of river's velocity as u Sin theta.
{cos (90-theta) =sin theta.}
So my teacher said that velocity of approach of person towards B is u-u sin theta.
Doc Al said:
C has nothing to do with the approach velocity of A and B
Shouldn't then velocity of approach of person towards B be "u"?
That's why I mentioned about c in my question.

Attachments

• upload_2015-4-10_20-9-22.png
    upload_2015-4-10_20-9-22.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 480
upload_2015-4-10_20-42-23.png

This is correct picture of my river swimmer problem.

gracy said:
A man and river are moving with same velocity u..
I assume you mean that the man moves with speed u with respect to the river, and the river moves with speed u with respect to the ground.

gracy said:
A person is at point B initially.His velocity with respect to river is always towards point A.River has velocity in horizontal direction.So that person's path is shown as BC.At one instant D I have shown person's velocity withg respect to river as u and component of river's velocity as u Sin theta.
{cos (90-theta) =sin theta.}
I assume the river moves to the right, call it the +x direction. And the man swims so that his velocity with respect to the water is always up, call that the +y direction. So his velocity with respect to the ground is ##u\hat{x} + u\hat{y}##. And since he's moving away from B, that will be his separation velocity from B. (He's moving away from B, not toward B.)

If I have the wrong setup, let me know.

gracy said:
So my teacher said that velocity of approach of person towards B is u-u sin theta.
I do not see where that came from.

gracy said:
Shouldn't then velocity of approach of person towards B be "u"?
Not if I understand the problem statement.

I'm not sure I understand all the arrows in your diagram.

Doc Al said:
I assume you mean that the man moves with speed u with respect to the river, and the river moves with speed u with respect to the ground.
Yes ,your assumption is correct.

Doc Al said:
And the man swims so that his velocity with respect to the water is always up,
No.And the man swims so that his velocity with respect to the water is always towards A.

gracy said:
So that person's path is shown as BC.
Actually I think the following image will explain why BC is path of the swimmer/person.
I have changed this a little bit.That's why refer image of my post #36 rather than the one below.

Attachments

• trying to explain..png
    trying to explain..png
    23.9 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
gracy said:
Doc Al said:
I do not see where that came from.
That's what I wanted to ask ,so I asked in my post #13
gracy said:
Because here point A is stationary,and swimmer is going towards it with velocity u along the lining the two.So his approach velocity towards A should be u - 0=u.
But as my teacher had taken his approach velocity u - u sin theta giving the following explanation.
As you can see the image of my post #30
component of river velocity in direction opposite to that of velocity of swimmer is u cos (90- theta)=u sin theta
Note:-y and x are my coordinates in the image of #30.
So over all velocity of approach (u - u sin theta) - 0=u - u sin theta
So I was having confusion whether we can include other velocities if present in the same direction or opposite to the direction of the line joining the person/swimmer and point A.
That's why I asked the below question in my post # 19
gracy said:
If I would say A is moving with velocity 5 m/s with respect to ground along the line joining AB.And B is at rest.There is some another point C which has a component of velocity 3 m/s in opposite direction to line AB. ,what is velocity approach of A with respect to B? Will it be 2 m/s?

Last edited: