1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drift speed for plasma

1. Dec 27, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to calculate the drift speed, drift orbital period and current density for 1eV protons and 10eV electrons. The density is 5 cm^-3
    The assumption is that it is only a grad-B drift

2. Relevant equations
    <V> = [6*E/(qBo*L*Re)](0,35 + 0.15sin(a))

3. The attempt at a solution
    For drift speed: I assumed that <V> = [6*E/(qBo*L*Re)](0,35 + 0.15sin(a))
    Where a= pitch angle = 90 degrees, L= field line= 5 in this case and Bo is 0.35*10^-4 T for equatorial plane of Earth.
    q= elementary charge.
    I tried and got a wrong value for the average speed when I calculated for 1 eV (proton), the answer became too small. Where did I do wrong?

For drift orbital period:
    The formula is (Td=2*pi*L*Re)/abs(V) from above, bud I need V, so this should be easy

The current density for the ring current: I actually have no idea, maybe a hint from you guys?

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2014 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

There seems to be some missing information in the problem statement. The B-field is missing, but later one indicates the earth's magnetic field. The particle density is 5 cm-3. How did one determine L = 5?

Please show the source of the equations, and please show one's work.

I think the problem concerns the "ring current" in the Earth's atmosphere, but the stated energies are rather low.
    http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/plasma/Plasmahtml/node23.html

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted