1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drift velocity

1. Jul 13, 2015 #1
    for an electron, randomly moving inside a conductor , having applied an external electric field we have those electrons moving with a net speed called drift speed , against the direction of field.
    so initially as electrons are moving randomly we consider their initial velocity o
    and after time t =at
    where a = acc. of electrons = e(field)/mass of electron
    t = mean time between consecutive collisions of electrons
    courtesy PHYSICS by halliday resnick krane vol 2
    but i don't understand why don't we average the initial and final speed of electrons ie
    drift speed = (0 + at)/2
    ??

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2015 #2
    The acceleration of an electron in a real conductor is not constant. I think when subjected to an electric field, the speed of the electrons increases monotonically up to its "steady-state" drift velocity. If the applied field is not changing (DC), then after an initial transient time, the electrons are flowing at the drift velocity. If the applied field is a sinusoidal function (AC), then the current (and thus drift velocity) will also vary sinusoidally. An accelerating charge (i.e. a varying current) establishes an electromagnetic wave.

4. Jul 13, 2015 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I think drift speed is already an average since every electron will be moving at different speeds and constantly interacting with the material and the applied field.

5. Jul 13, 2015 #4
    For the acceleration happened just a moment (average), the drift velocity is the average speed electrons have in the conductor after the generation of the electric field.

6. Jul 14, 2015 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The electron in a (normal) conductor is under the influence of the electromagnetic force and to a friction force. The notion of a friction force is already a coarse grained description of the full complicated dynamics of the many-body (quantum!) system. On the level of linear-response theory you come astonishingly far with very simple classical pictures introducing some phenomenological transport coefficients (like electric conductivity) and response functions. On a microscopic level, you have to calculate appropriate correlation functions in statistical many-body QFT. See Landau-Lifshitz vol. X for a very good introduction into both classical and quantum transport phenomena.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook