• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Not strictly an oxymoron, but I like it : Microsoft Works

TRCSF said:
Maybe not necessarily, but it often does. That's all that's necessary for it to be an oxymoron. It doesn't have to be some sort of logical contradiction. I think you're confusing "oxymoron" with "paradox."

"original copy" is an oxymoron even though it makes perfect sense. Same with "jumbo shrimp" or "civil war" or any other oxymoron.
The definition of an oxymoron is that it joins contradictory terms. Your examples are only seemingly contradictory so not really oxymorons.

Every oxymoron can be reworded, or claimed to have a different meaning for it to not be an oxymoron anymore. It's an oxymoron when you think of it with that definition.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Ah... I wasn't thinking. Copy doesn't necessarily mean a duplicate.

How about "Alone in a crowd"?
No, I wouldn't say that's an oxymoron. Just means you're not in the crowd with friends or family or anyone you know. It's hard to come up with a good one for the kind of solitude-amongst-many you're describing. The opposite, "crowded solitude" is not hard.

TheStatutoryApe said:
The definition of an oxymoron is that it joins contradictory terms. Your examples are only seemingly contradictory so not really oxymorons.
I agree with this. They were, sort of, pseudo-oxymorons.

My oldest remembered: "military intelligence."

Pengwuino
Gold Member
British humility