Drive through liquor oxymoron

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drive
In summary: There is a specific definition for oxymoron that you are not following, and as such, these phrases do not meet that definition.
JamesU
Gold Member
The other day, I was passing by another area of town, when I saw a sign that said: DRIVE-THROUGH LIQUOR. Now, I know that people aren't SUPPOSED to drink in their car, but I DO know that a lot of them don't.

doesn't 'drive through liquor' sound like an oxymoron

Physics news on Phys.org
No it doesn't.

:frown: ....

Drive through liquor literally sounds like driving through an alcoholic liquid. Drive through pharmacies don't mean you pop the pills right after getting them. Drive thru's(why do they write that on the signs?) are generally picking something up and eating it/drinking it later...

oxymoron is when two incongruous or contradictory terms are combined. Deafening Silence, Mournful optimist, "what if bush was right?"

Oxymoron: Smart smurf

Pengwuino said:
This is not an oxymoron so much as it is sarcasm: a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usu. directed against an individual

Smurf's Bush remark was also sarcasm, and not an oxymoron.

zoobyshoe said:
This is not an oxymoron so much as it is sarcasm: a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usu. directed against an individual

Smurf's Bush remark was also sarcasm, and not an oxymoron.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: uhm... uhhh... your the moron!

original copy is an oxymoron
like, i have an original copy of my paper

that is a definite maybe
is also an oxymoron

a small crowd gathered

half full

virtual reality

strangely familiar

all alone

clearly misunderstood

constant variable

etc

Pengwuino said:
you know that's getting annoying.

Here are some:

cruel kindness
happy sadness
confused lucidity
outstanding mediocrity
sharp bluntness
attractive repellence
energetic lethargy
vague specificity
weighty levity
moist aridity
unearthly worldliness
wavey straightness
intelligent stupidity
promiscuous monogamy
healthy toxicity
full emptiness
heavenly evil
suave clumsiness
dissatisfied contentment
inconsistant sameness

Hot water heater.

Most of these I don't think are oxymorons...
moose said:
original copy is an oxymoron
like, i have an original copy of my paper
This one is. Something can not be a copy and the original at the same time.

that is a definite maybe
is also an oxymoron
I don't see this as one. Something is definitely still up in the air. It's the wording that makes it seem oxymoronic.

a small crowd gathered
I'm quite sure crowds can come in different sizes.

half full
This would sort of be a contraction of "Half way to being full"

virtual reality
Something very close to but not reality.

strangely familiar
A sense of familiarity which seems oddly placed?

all alone
This one I'm not sure about. It just seems like an unnecessary qualifier was added. You could be right though.

clearly misunderstood
This seems very much the same as the "definite maybe". I don't see a problem with the idea that something has clearly been misunderstood.

constant variable
Again like the above. Isn't it possible that something can be a known in some instances but variable in others? And then there can be something that is always an unknown or constantly variable?

Sorry if I'm being nit picky but I often find that I have trouble communicating with people because they think certain things or terms to be mutually exclusive when they really aren't. So I sometimes take it upon myself to point what I see out to people. Maybe it can give you a different perspective.

mattmns said:
Hot water heater.

That's not an oxymoron.

I think that's more of a non sequitor. It doesn't make much sense at face value.

Since we're giving examples of oxymorons, my personal favorite is Jumbo Shrimp.

Pengwuino said:
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: uhm... uhhh... your the moron!
A better response would've been "You're an oxymoron". God, I can't believe you missed that. Have I taught you nothing?

If I "DRIVE THROUGH LIQUOR," my vehicle runs on alternative fuel.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Most of these I don't think are oxymorons...
I don't think any of them are.
This one is. Something can not be a copy and the original at the same time.
The first copy you make of something can be the original copy. If you are referring to the original as a copy, it's not an oxymoron, just a misnomer.

zoobyshoe said:
I don't think any of them are.

The first copy you make of something can be the original copy. If you are referring to the original as a copy, it's not an oxymoron, just a misnomer.
Ah... I wasn't thinking. Copy doesn't necessarily mean a duplicate.

How about "Alone in a crowd"?

No, I think "original copy" is a perfect example of an oxymoron.

"Original" and "copy" are contradictory.

I think you could say that its a copy of the original and kinda get by without saying its an oxymoron.

TRCSF said:
No, I think "original copy" is a perfect example of an oxymoron.

"Original" and "copy" are contradictory.
Copy doesn't necessarily refer to a duplicate. Copy sometimes refers to textual material that is to be copied/duplicated/printed in which case "original copy" makes perfect sense.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Copy doesn't necessarily refer to a duplicate. Copy sometimes refers to textual material that is to be copied/duplicated/printed in which case "original copy" makes perfect sense.

Maybe not necessarily, but it often does. That's all that's necessary for it to be an oxymoron. It doesn't have to be some sort of logical contradiction. I think you're confusing "oxymoron" with "paradox."

"original copy" is an oxymoron even though it makes perfect sense. Same with "jumbo shrimp" or "civil war" or any other oxymoron.

Well I think the only reason jumbo shrimp is an oxymoron is because we relate "shrimp" to small things. And civil war doesn't fit because your ignoring a definition that makes it logically correct. I think oxymoron is when there's two completely illogical words back to back like that deafening silence example.

Not strictly an oxymoron, but I like it : Microsoft Works

TRCSF said:
Maybe not necessarily, but it often does. That's all that's necessary for it to be an oxymoron. It doesn't have to be some sort of logical contradiction. I think you're confusing "oxymoron" with "paradox."

"original copy" is an oxymoron even though it makes perfect sense. Same with "jumbo shrimp" or "civil war" or any other oxymoron.
The definition of an oxymoron is that it joins contradictory terms. Your examples are only seemingly contradictory so not really oxymorons.

Every oxymoron can be reworded, or claimed to have a different meaning for it to not be an oxymoron anymore. It's an oxymoron when you think of it with that definition.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Ah... I wasn't thinking. Copy doesn't necessarily mean a duplicate.

How about "Alone in a crowd"?
No, I wouldn't say that's an oxymoron. Just means you're not in the crowd with friends or family or anyone you know. It's hard to come up with a good one for the kind of solitude-amongst-many you're describing. The opposite, "crowded solitude" is not hard.

TheStatutoryApe said:
The definition of an oxymoron is that it joins contradictory terms. Your examples are only seemingly contradictory so not really oxymorons.
I agree with this. They were, sort of, pseudo-oxymorons.

My oldest remembered: "military intelligence."

British humility

1. What is a "drive through liquor"?

A "drive through liquor" is a type of establishment where customers can purchase alcoholic beverages without having to leave their vehicle. It is similar to a drive-through fast food restaurant, but instead of ordering food, customers can order and purchase alcohol.

2. Is it legal to have a drive through liquor store?

The legality of drive through liquor stores varies by state and country. In some places, it is legal to have a drive through liquor store, while in others it is not allowed. It is important to check the laws and regulations of your specific location before opening a drive through liquor store.

3. How does a drive through liquor store work?

Customers typically drive up to a window or booth, place their order, and pay for their purchase. The alcohol is then handed to them through the window or brought to their car by an employee. Customers must be of legal drinking age and are typically not allowed to consume the alcohol on the premises.

4. Why is "drive through liquor" considered an oxymoron?

The term "oxymoron" refers to a figure of speech where two contradictory terms are used together. In this case, the term "drive through" implies convenience and ease, while "liquor" is associated with caution and restriction. Therefore, the combination of these two words is considered an oxymoron.

5. Are there any safety concerns with drive through liquor stores?

Like any establishment that sells alcohol, there are potential safety concerns with drive through liquor stores. Employees must be trained to check IDs and ensure that customers are not driving under the influence. Additionally, some states have restrictions on where drive through liquor stores can be located to prevent accidents and keep the community safe.