Due in an HOUR Early Physics problem relating drag, weight, and speed.

In summary: Unfortunately, you can't solve this equation for v since you don't know the constant. However, you can approximate it by assuming that the drag force is proportional to the speed cubed.
jwoods1101
Due in an HOUR! Early Physics problem.. relating drag, weight, and speed.

Homework Statement

A 1.74 m wide, 1.48 m high, 1500 kg car hits a very slick patch of ice while going 21.0 m/s. Air resistance is not negligible. If friction is neglected, how long will it take until the car's speed drops to 18.0 m/s?

Homework Equations

I think this one would be useful:
final velocity = initial velocity + acceleration x change in time

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempts are WAAYY off. I have two pages of work done and an hour of my time and nothing to show for it. I tried to calculate drag as part of the acceleration = net force / mass equation, but I don't know if that was right. Please hurry! It was the last question on my online set of homework due in an hour.

Physics news on Phys.org

air resistance is NOT negligible?

yes. that's correct. which pretty much means calculate the drag I assume.

bump. anyone??

You should have asked three days ago. Now it's too late, since we're not allowed to give you the complete solution. Since you didn't include any formulas that can be used to calculate the drag, I'm going to have to assume that you haven't been taught any. (I don't recall any such formulas myself, but it's been a long time since I had to solve this type of problems). Without any such formulas, the numbers you were given can't be relevant, and all you can do is to realize that the drag force depends on the speed and try to figure out how. If you can't find an exact answer, how about an approximate one? Try to write down an approximate formula for the drag force at velocity v. It will obviously contain some constant whose value you can't know. Then use Newton's 2nd.

Also, a tip for next time. You need to show some of your work. If you have no idea where to begin, it's OK to just say so, but then we will only tell you where to begin.

jwoods1101 said:
final velocity = initial velocity + acceleration x change in time
This only works when the acceleration is constant. In this case it's not. The drag force obviously depends on the speed, since speed 0 implies force 0.

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between drag, weight, and speed in physics?

The relationship between drag, weight, and speed in physics is known as the drag equation. It states that the drag force on an object moving through a fluid is directly proportional to the density of the fluid, the square of the object's velocity, and the object's cross-sectional area.

2. How does drag affect an object's motion?

Drag is a force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion and it can significantly affect an object's motion. As the drag force increases, the object's velocity decreases, causing it to slow down. This ultimately leads to a decrease in speed and potentially a change in direction.

3. What factors influence the amount of drag experienced by an object?

The amount of drag experienced by an object is influenced by several factors, including the object's shape, speed, and the density and viscosity of the fluid it is moving through. Additionally, the surface roughness and temperature of the object can also affect drag.

4. How does weight play a role in an object's motion?

Weight is a force that is always acting downwards on an object due to gravity. In physics, weight is a component of the force that affects an object's motion, as it can counteract other forces such as drag or thrust. The heavier an object is, the more force it exerts on the ground, and the more resistance it will experience from drag.

5. How can an understanding of drag, weight, and speed be applied in real-life situations?

An understanding of drag, weight, and speed is crucial in many real-life situations, such as designing vehicles, aerodynamics, and sports. By understanding the relationship between these factors, engineers and designers can create more efficient and streamlined objects, while athletes can use this knowledge to improve their performance in activities such as running, cycling, and swimming.