Is dy/dx = 0 Always a Constant Function?

• Thread starter anantchowdhary
  • Start date
In summary: No, the function is continuous and differentiable at every point in the interval, so the limit of the derivative is not zero.
anantchowdhary
If dy/dx=0,
for all x in the function y= f(x)'s domain,then
how can we say... only by using limits, that the function is a constant one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Only by using limits? What's wrong with the way this is usually proved, i.e. via the mean value theorem?

the mean value theorem here...im not sure...cuz we might get a limit of the function staying constant..but i don't see how the function is EXACTLY constant, being proved by only using the first principle...

thanks

anantchowdhary said:
If dy/dx=0,
for all x in the function y= f(x)'s domain,then
how can we say... only by using limits, that the function is a constant one?
As far as a limit definition:

dy/dx = lim[ F(x+h) - F(x)]/h

In order for that to be true, then:

F(x+h) - F(x) = 0

=>

F(x+h) = F(x)

Which means that you have an equation which does not vary with respect to x, otherwise there would be something left over from that subtraction. The only equation which does not vary with respect to x is a function that is constant, relative to x.

cant F(x+h)-F(x) be <<h ...I don't think it can as h is a dynamic variable,which is infinitesimally small...so am i correct
Please correct me if I am wrong
thanks

If (A-B)/C = 0, and C is not 0, then it has to follow that A=B.

But this is a limit

i mean lim(a--->b)a-b/c=0

it duznt mean a=b!

anantchowdhary said:
But this is a limit

i mean lim(a--->b)a-b/c=0

it duznt mean a=b!

No, it's lim(c -> 0) of (a-b)/c

ok...i got my mistake...but can't [tex]a-b[/tex] be something like [tex]c^2[/tex]

then the limit still is 0 but we can't say a=b...can we?

In order that this be true, f must be differentiable at every point in the interval. Your limit calculations are not using that.

GoldPheonix said:
dy/dx = lim[ F(x+h) - F(x)]/h

In order for that to be true, then:

F(x+h) - F(x) = 0
This is not true. Take F(x)=x^2 for instance, and apply the limit definition at x=0:

[tex]F'(0) = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{F(0+h) - F(0)}{h} = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{h^2}{h} = 0.[/tex]

But F(0+h)-F(0)=h^2 is not zero for all h.

This is why you need to use a deeper result like the mean value theorem. It tells you that if x is not equal to y, then there is a c such that

[tex]\frac{F(x) - F(y)}{x - y} = F'(c) = 0 \implies F(x) = F(y).[/tex]

[Note: I'm assuming that F is differentiable everywhere so that the hypotheses of the MVT are satisfied.]

Is it correct to simply say ..that in a function we can't have an infinitesimal so the limit of the derivative is not zero unitl it IS constant
or like we have a function [tex]f(x)=a(x)-b(x)[/tex]
if a`(x)=b`(x) for all x

then a(x)=b(x) necessarily using the above argument(infinitesimals)

Last edited:
anantchowdhary said:
Is it correct to simply say ..that in a function we can't have an infinitesimal so the limit of the derivative is not zero unitl it IS constant
That doesn't really make any sense.

ok...

So how would we exactly prove the required result using only limits and logic?

thanks

Use limits (and logic) to prove the mean value theorem! One point that has been made repeatedly here is that you can't use limits at a single point because saying that y= 0 identically (on some interval) is a property of that interval, not a single point.

ok...i get your point:smile:

but what if we have a function like...
[tex]
f(x+y)=f(x)+y^3[/tex]
and it is provided that the function is continuous and differentiable
so this gives us
[tex]
f(x+h)=f(x)+h^3[/tex]

or
[tex]
\frac {f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}=h^2[/tex]

[tex]
\lim_{h \to 0} \frac {f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}=0[/tex]

but i don't think the function is constant...
is there anything wrong in the function?

anantchowdhary said:
ok...i get your point:smile:

but what if we have a function like...
[tex]
f(x+y)=f(x)+y^3[/tex]
What reason do you have to believe such a function exists? If so, taking x= 0, f(y)= y3. But then
[tex]f(x+y)= (x+y)^3= x^3+ 3x^2y+ 3xy^2+ y^3= f(x)+ 3x^2y+ 3xy^2+ y^3\ne f(x)+ y^3[/tex]
a contradiction.

and it is provided that the function is continuous and differentiable
so this gives us
[tex]
f(x+h)=f(x)+h^3[/tex]

or
[tex]
\frac {f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}=h^2[/tex]

[tex]
\lim_{h \to 0} \frac {f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}=0[/tex]

but i don't think the function is constant...
is there anything wrong in the function?

I agree.. that the function won't exist...

but,using the MVT arent we still just proving the tendency not the EXACT equality?
i know this is irritating

but

thanks anyways

anantchowdhary said:
but,using the MVT arent we still just proving the tendency not the EXACT equality?
No. The MVT is an exact equality. See: http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/MeanValueTheorem.html .

Last edited by a moderator:
:rolleyes: Well,I didnt mean to say that MVT isn't an exact equality

then perhaps you should explain what you mean by "tendency" and "exact equality".

I just got a bit confused about the tendency of the function being a constant..i mean to say that i thought the function woould vary extremely slowly...my mistake!

1. What does it mean for dy/dx to equal 0?

When dy/dx is equal to 0, it means that the rate of change of the function at that specific point is 0. This indicates that the function has reached a maximum or minimum value at that point.

2. Is dy/dx = 0 the same as saying the function is constant?

Not necessarily. A function can have a derivative of 0 at a certain point and still be changing at other points. However, if the derivative is constantly 0 for all values, then the function is considered to be constant.

3. Can a function have a derivative of 0 at multiple points?

Yes, a function can have multiple points where the derivative is equal to 0. This indicates that the function has multiple maximum or minimum points.

4. How does the graph of a function change when dy/dx = 0?

When dy/dx is equal to 0, the graph of the function will have a horizontal tangent line at that point. This means that the slope of the function at that point is 0, and the graph will either have a maximum or minimum value at that point.

5. Is dy/dx = 0 always a desirable property for a function?

Not necessarily. While a derivative of 0 can indicate a maximum or minimum point, it can also indicate a point of inflection where the function changes from concave up to concave down or vice versa. Therefore, whether a derivative of 0 is desirable depends on the context and purpose of the function.