Dynamic contact angle simulation in COMSOL

In summary: ScientistIn summary, the individual is using COMSOL and the Phase Field method to simulate the dynamic process of a water droplet on a wax substrate. They have successfully simulated the static contact angle using a fixed contact angle in the wetted wall boundary condition, but are facing difficulties in simulating the dynamic contact angle using Kister's law. They are seeking help on how to calculate and impose the dynamic contact angle in the boundary condition.
Imdad
I am doing the dynamic process of a water droplet impinging onto a wax substrate in COMSOL, using the Phase Field method for tracking the free surface. I am able to do the simulation for Static Contact Angle(SCA) i.e i am imposing a fixed contact angle throughout the time step in wetted wall boundary condition but i am facing numerical difficulty for simulation of Dynamic contact angle(DCA). I am not able to give dynamic contact angle expression (using kister's law) in the wetted wall boundary condition. Dynamic contact angle is dependent on contact line velocity. so how to calculate the contact line velocity in COMSOL and how to impose the dynamic contact angle in wetted wall boundary condition. Can anyone please help me out. Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello,

I am a scientist with experience in using COMSOL for fluid dynamics simulations. It sounds like you are facing some challenges in simulating the dynamic contact angle using the Phase Field method in COMSOL. I understand that you have successfully simulated the static contact angle by imposing a fixed contact angle in the wetted wall boundary condition.

To simulate the dynamic contact angle, you will need to incorporate the contact line velocity into your simulation. This can be done by using the Kister's law, which relates the contact line velocity to the contact angle. You can then use this expression to calculate the contact line velocity in your simulation. This can be done by defining a new variable in COMSOL and using it in your boundary conditions.

As for imposing the dynamic contact angle in the wetted wall boundary condition, you can use the previously calculated contact line velocity and the Kister's law expression to define the dynamic contact angle in your boundary condition. You can also use the COMSOL documentation or reach out to their support team for guidance on how to properly define the dynamic contact angle in the boundary condition.

I hope this helps you with your simulation. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to reach out. Good luck with your research!

1. What is dynamic contact angle simulation in COMSOL?

Dynamic contact angle simulation in COMSOL is a computational modeling technique used to study the behavior of a liquid droplet on a solid surface over time. It takes into account various factors such as surface tension, wettability, and fluid flow to accurately predict the contact angle of the droplet as it evolves.

2. What are the applications of dynamic contact angle simulation?

Dynamic contact angle simulation has a wide range of applications, including understanding the wetting behavior of liquids on different surfaces, optimizing surface coatings for industrial processes, and designing microfluidic devices for biomedical research.

3. How does COMSOL software facilitate dynamic contact angle simulation?

COMSOL software offers a user-friendly interface to set up and solve complex multiphysics problems, including dynamic contact angle simulation. It provides a variety of built-in physics interfaces and solvers, as well as customizable options for more advanced modeling.

4. What are the important parameters to consider in dynamic contact angle simulation?

The key parameters to consider in dynamic contact angle simulation include the surface tension of the liquid, the wettability of the solid surface, the viscosity of the liquid, the surface roughness, and the fluid flow conditions. These parameters can significantly affect the evolution of the contact angle over time.

5. How accurate are the results obtained from dynamic contact angle simulation in COMSOL?

The accuracy of the results from dynamic contact angle simulation in COMSOL depends on the quality of input data and the complexity of the model. With proper calibration and validation, COMSOL simulations can provide highly accurate predictions of the contact angle behavior. However, it is always recommended to compare the simulation results with experimental data for further validation.