Dynamic Mesh Analysis for Wind Turbine Blades

In summary, the speaker is a 4th year ME student who is working on a final year project involving dynamic mesh analysis for wind turbine blades. They are seeking help on how to start the project and what data to use. Another person suggests using NASTRAN/PATRAN for meshing and analysis, and offers to assist if the speaker is not a spammer. The speaker also mentions using boundary layers and asks for step-by-step instructions on analyzing a boat in a river using dynamic meshing. Other individuals join the conversation with their own questions and offer to help with creating compiled UDfs. The expert suggests using NASTRAN for aerodynamics problems.
haa72
Hello , I am a 4th year ME ,I have as an Final year project to do a dynamic mesh analysis for the blades of a wind turbine ! unfortunately , i don't know how to start since it is the first time I work with the Dynamic mesh . I practiced ont he Fluent softwares when I took the CFd course, so i have an experience with FLUENT. can you please tell me how should i start and whta are the best things an data that i should take! Please i need ur help and i am waitin ur response.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have never used FLUENT, but you could create a mesh and analyze it using NASTRAN/PATRAN (a finite element program). It's menu-based program, so there's really no code-writing involved -- very user-friendly!

I'm very good using fluent 6.1. if ur not a spammer, just add me on the msn i will help you. I'm a graduated engineer, my senior project included a simulation of combustion in an engine using Dynamic meshes :)..lucky you

Hello

Hello,
Thanks for your reply , I will add u soon to MSN .
i think that i will start by the following steps :
1-Drawing the 3D
2-importing to gambit
3-Really don't know how to start the meshing for this problem , am wondering since there is two parts one that will rotate an dother not rotating (the blades).
also i think that i must use a fine mesh near the blades and coarse in the other place.
also what about boumdary layer in fluent , do uhave any clue what should i use
waiting ur reply

using boundary layers

Well before u use this option u have to delete autosmoothing from Gambit..to do this Edit-->Defaults, then put autosmoothing to a value of zero.
Then after u open the boundary layer meshing first, the options are pretty straight forward, there are drawing that gambit will show u to explain the options ur gonnna fill up, so its pretty straight forward till here. then u mesh the volume

I need the step by step instruction to analysis a boat in river ,by the Dynamic Meshing method. waiting ur reply

same problem here..
can i export rhinocheros file to fluent?

my email njmiliangchuan@yahoo.com.cn

:rofl:

Hi all. I also need the step by step instruction to analysis a fluctuating beam,by the Dynamic Meshing method. The beam is fixed at one end and the other end is simply moving up and down. this is my first time I'm using dynamic mesh. If someone can help, that would be great for me.

hi eaboujaoudeh, i saw this thread and i was wondering if i can add u on msn cause I am having some trouble using dynamic meshing to analyze a 2-stroke engine. thank u

also have a same problem.im modeling a savonius turbine.

do you now how to create compiled UDfs that u insert in Fluent?do u create it in Gambit or? sorry,im new at this...

piano_girl said:
I have never used FLUENT, but you could create a mesh and analyze it using NASTRAN/PATRAN (a finite element program). It's menu-based program, so there's really no code-writing involved -- very user-friendly!

If he's dealing with aerodynamics, NASTRAN may difficult everything, because the problem must be solved using finite volumes rather than finite elements.

1. What is Dynamic Mesh Analysis for Wind Turbine Blades?

Dynamic Mesh Analysis is a computational method used to study the behavior of wind turbine blades under varying wind speeds and conditions. It involves creating a virtual model of the turbine and its surrounding environment and using mathematical equations to simulate the movement of the air and the resulting forces on the blades.

2. Why is Dynamic Mesh Analysis important for wind turbine design?

Dynamic Mesh Analysis allows engineers to predict how wind turbine blades will perform in different wind conditions, helping them to design more efficient and durable blades. It also helps identify potential structural weaknesses or areas for improvement in existing designs.

3. How is Dynamic Mesh Analysis different from other analysis methods?

Unlike other analysis methods, Dynamic Mesh Analysis takes into account the dynamic nature of wind and the resulting unsteady forces on the blades. This allows for a more accurate representation of real-world conditions and can lead to more precise and reliable results.

4. What are the main challenges of Dynamic Mesh Analysis for Wind Turbine Blades?

One of the main challenges of Dynamic Mesh Analysis is accurately modeling the complex aerodynamics of wind flow around the blades. This requires advanced computational techniques and a deep understanding of fluid dynamics. Additionally, the large amount of data and calculations involved can be computationally intensive and time-consuming.

5. How is Dynamic Mesh Analysis used in the development of wind energy technology?

Dynamic Mesh Analysis is an essential tool in the development of wind energy technology. It allows engineers to optimize blade design and placement, improve energy efficiency, and ensure the structural integrity of wind turbine systems. It is also used in the testing and validation of new wind turbine designs before they are implemented in real-world applications.