1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamical System Analysis using Mathematica

1. Jul 8, 2012 #1
    Hello there,

Let me start from the beginning. I have dynamical system described by two autonomous ODEs (eqn1, eqn2). To find equilibrium points I used NSolve[{eqn1 == 0, eqn2 == 0}, {x, y}] which gave me 5 solutions in a form {{x->2, y->0},{...},...}. I also constructed Jacobian matrix using M={{D[eqn1,x], D[eqn1,y]},{D[eqn2,x],D[eqn2,x]}} which is written with x and y. Next I need to calculate this Jacobian matrix substituting solutions from NSolve function to find its eigenvalues. So I should have 5 matrices with corresponding eigenvalues. How can I achieve this? The problem is to substitute values from the solution to the matrix.

I will appreciate any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2012 #2
    I understood how to extract NSolve output. For this purpose you need to write soln=NSolve[...], then to access the solution values of this function x /. soln[[1]], y/.soln[[1]] (this corresponds to the 1st solution)

4. Jul 9, 2012 #3
    So next step will be to substitute those values to the matrix written in terms of x and y. Any ideas?

5. Jul 13, 2012 #4
    Can you apply this method to your problem?

In[1]:= mat={{x,y},{x+y+1,2x-3}};
    sols={{x->1,y->3},{x->2,y->4}};
    Map[mat/.#&,sols]

Out[3]=
    {{{1, 3},
    {5, -1}},

{{2, 4},
    {7, 1}}}

6. Jul 17, 2012 #5
    Thank you. I used quite similar way of doing this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook