Dynamical System Analysis using Mathematica

In summary, the conversation discusses using NSolve and Jacobian matrix to find equilibrium points and eigenvalues in a dynamical system. The method of substituting values from NSolve to the Jacobian matrix is also discussed.
Zhamie
Hello there,

Let me start from the beginning. I have dynamical system described by two autonomous ODEs (eqn1, eqn2). To find equilibrium points I used NSolve[{eqn1 == 0, eqn2 == 0}, {x, y}] which gave me 5 solutions in a form {{x->2, y->0},{...},...}. I also constructed Jacobian matrix using M={{D[eqn1,x], D[eqn1,y]},{D[eqn2,x],D[eqn2,x]}} which is written with x and y. Next I need to calculate this Jacobian matrix substituting solutions from NSolve function to find its eigenvalues. So I should have 5 matrices with corresponding eigenvalues. How can I achieve this? The problem is to substitute values from the solution to the matrix.

I will appreciate any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I understood how to extract NSolve output. For this purpose you need to write soln=NSolve[...], then to access the solution values of this function x /. soln[[1]], y/.soln[[1]] (this corresponds to the 1st solution)

So next step will be to substitute those values to the matrix written in terms of x and y. Any ideas?

Can you apply this method to your problem?

In[1]:= mat={{x,y},{x+y+1,2x-3}};
sols={{x->1,y->3},{x->2,y->4}};
Map[mat/.#&,sols]

Out[3]=
{{{1, 3},
{5, -1}},

{{2, 4},
{7, 1}}}

Bill Simpson said:
Can you apply this method to your problem?

In[1]:= mat={{x,y},{x+y+1,2x-3}};
sols={{x->1,y->3},{x->2,y->4}};
Map[mat/.#&,sols]

Out[3]=
{{{1, 3},
{5, -1}},

{{2, 4},
{7, 1}}}

Thank you. I used quite similar way of doing this.

What is Dynamical System Analysis?

Dynamical System Analysis is a mathematical approach used to study the behavior and evolution of complex systems over time. It involves using mathematical models and computer simulations to understand how a system changes and responds to different inputs and conditions.

Why is Mathematica commonly used for Dynamical System Analysis?

Mathematica is a powerful computational software that allows for the creation and manipulation of complex mathematical models. It has built-in functions and algorithms specifically designed for dynamical system analysis, making it a popular tool among scientists and researchers in this field.

What types of systems can be analyzed using Mathematica?

Mathematica can be used to analyze a wide range of systems, including but not limited to biological, ecological, economic, social, and physical systems. As long as the system can be described using mathematical equations, Mathematica can be used to analyze its behavior and dynamics.

What are some common techniques used in Dynamical System Analysis?

Some common techniques used in dynamical system analysis include phase space analysis, bifurcation analysis, stability analysis, and sensitivity analysis. These techniques help to identify patterns, critical points, and changes in the behavior of a system over time.

What are the potential applications of Dynamical System Analysis?

Dynamical system analysis has a wide range of applications in various fields, including biology, ecology, economics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to study the behavior of complex systems, predict future outcomes, and inform decision-making processes.