Dynamics 1: Motion Along a Line

In summary: Don't really understand what you mean by expressing it in terms of h and L. This is the part I am stuck on.
Rob123456789
<< Mentor Note -- poster has been reminded to fill out the Attempt at the Solution part of the Template in future HH threads >>

1. Homework Statement

An object of mass m is at rest at the top of a smooth slope of height h and length L. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the object and the surface, μk, is small enough that the object will slide down the slope if given a very small push to get it started.

Find an expression for the object's speed at the bottom of the slope.

Express your answer in terms of the variables m, μk, L, h, and appropriate constants.

No clue how to do this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rob123456789 said:

Homework Statement

An object of mass m is at rest at the top of a smooth slope of height h and length L. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the object and the surface, μk, is small enough that the object will slide down the slope if given a very small push to get it started.

Find an expression for the object's speed at the bottom of the slope.

Express your answer in terms of the variables m, μk, L, h, and appropriate constants.

No clue how to do this.

Unfortunately, you need to have some idea how to tackle the problem and show us how far you can get on your own before you get stuck. What do you know about motion, acceleration, gravity, kinetic energy etc.?

This is what I get :
final KE = initial PE - work done
½mv² = mgh - µk*mgLcos(arcsin(h/L)) → multiply by 2/m
v² = 2gh - 2µk*mgLcos(arcsin(h/L)) → take square root

v = √(2gh - 2µk*gLcos(arcsin(h/L))

Rob123456789 said:
This is what I get :
final KE = initial PE - work done
½mv² = mgh - µk*mgLcos(arcsin(h/L)) → multiply by 2/m
v² = 2gh - 2µk*mgLcos(arcsin(h/L)) → take square root

v = √(2gh - 2µk*gLcos(arcsin(h/L))

You may want to do something about ##\cos(\arcsin(h/L))## but otherwise that looks right.

What do I do with it ?

Rob123456789 said:
What do I do with it ?

You could get rid of the trig functions.

v = √(2gh - 2µk*gLcos(h/L)) ?

or v = √(2gh - 2µk*gL(h/L))?

Rob123456789 said:
or v = √(2gh - 2µk*gL(h/L))?

That makes no sense.

Still gives me : The correct answer does not depend on: μκ.

Rob123456789 said:
What do I do with it ?

##\cos## and ##\sin## are related, which allows you to express the answer in terms of ##h## and ##L## without any trig functions. You don't have to do this.

Don't really understand what you mean by expressing it in terms of h and L. This is the part I am stuck on.

Rob123456789 said:
Don't really understand what you mean by expressing it in terms of h and L. This is the part I am stuck on.

You can either use ##\cos^2 + \sin^2 = 1## or go back to your diagram and express ##\cos## in terms of ##h## and ##L## using Pythagoras.

What is Dynamics 1: Motion Along a Line?

Dynamics 1: Motion Along a Line is a branch of physics that studies the movement of objects along a straight line, also known as linear motion. It involves analyzing the forces acting on an object and how it affects its acceleration and velocity.

What are the key concepts in Dynamics 1: Motion Along a Line?

The key concepts in Dynamics 1: Motion Along a Line include displacement, velocity, acceleration, force, and mass. These concepts are used to describe the motion of objects and the relationship between their movement and the forces acting upon them.

What are the equations used in Dynamics 1: Motion Along a Line?

The main equations used in Dynamics 1: Motion Along a Line are the equations of motion, also known as the kinematic equations. These include the equations for displacement (Δx = v₀t + ½at²), velocity (v = v₀ + at), and acceleration (a = Δv/Δt).

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. Speed is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude, while velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is Newton's Second Law of Motion applied in Dynamics 1: Motion Along a Line?

Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F = ma), is applied in Dynamics 1 to calculate the acceleration of an object given the forces acting upon it. This law is crucial in understanding the relationship between forces and motion in linear motion.